Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying vegetable, fruits cheaply in Osaka 2016/7/30 13:45
Hi, I just moved in to Japan. Staying at Ajikawaguchi near Osaka.
I find the veggies and fruits highly priced in most supermarkets.
Can anyone help me with places in Osaka where I can buy veggies and fruits at cheap price. Thanks in advance.
by shine (guest)  

Re: Buying vegetable, fruits cheaply in Osaka 2016/7/30 22:50
supermarket prices are mostly lower than those of department stores and convenience stores, and pretty much in average.
they sell some items with special discount prices. you may know them by チラシ, chirashi or their web sites.
some stores sell some fresh foods with discount prices near at their closing time everyday.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying vegetable, fruits cheaply in Osaka 2016/7/31 13:12
Costco has quite reasonably priced vegetables in my experience.

Whether the amount of money you save will be greater than the cost of transportation and annual membership will depend on how many vegetables you consume, of course.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Buying vegetable, fruits cheaply in Osaka 2016/8/1 15:44
I find that the little shops that deal almost exclusively in fresh produce will be the cheapest. Walk around your neighborhood and look for a small, slightly run-down looking place with bins of vegetables out front.

Also, prices vary widely by season. Don't decide what you're going to make until you walk around the supermarket. If it's cheap it's probably in season right now.
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Buying vegetable, fruits cheaply in Osaka 2016/8/1 23:34
I find that the little shops that deal almost exclusively in fresh produce will be the cheapest. Walk around your neighborhood and look for a small, slightly run-down looking place with bins of vegetables out front.

I second this advice. Best thing to do at the beginning is to walk around and get to know your neighborhood. You'll be surprised what you can find tucked away along the backstreets even in the city.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying vegetable, fruits cheaply in Osaka 2016/8/7 09:37
I'd also suggest keeping your eyes out for farmers and the like who come into the city and sell their fruit and vegetables out of the back of their truck. They usually show up at night and setup around the train station.

Near my station there is a couple of farmers that stop by during the week. One of them sells really delicious peaches at just 300 yen for 7 peaches. It's great.
by dotpatrick rate this post as useful

Re: Buying vegetable, fruits cheaply in Osaka 2016/8/7 13:36
DotPatrick

What station's name, please
by Kow (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread