Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Saying thank you for condolences in Japan 2016/8/3 16:22
My stepdad recently passed away and my family made the burial in my homecountry.
Through a satellite factory my Japanese company sent condolence wreath and when I came back to Japan after a week they also have given me some financial help.

I am not sure how to respond in words or letter and I certainly know what to give as okaeshi.. may I ask the general rule in Japanese culture in this case?

Thank you.
by Rica chan (guest)  

Re: Saying thank you for condolences in Japan 2016/8/3 19:35
That is "香典返し/kouden-gaeshi".
香典 means money for dead man's family you recieved.
返し(kaeshi/返す/kaesu) is "return/back" as thanks with in this case.
https://giftnomori.com/first/
https://giftnomori.com/free/#pNavi_2

If you can read/input JP well ask again at JP Q web better.
http://komachi.yomiuri.co.jp/search.html?q=%E9%A6%99%E5%85%B8%E8%BF%94...
Also search at Google(image search,too) by
"香典返し マナー" (manner)
"香典返し 手紙" (letter)
"香典返し 挨拶" (letter of greeting).
by NC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Saying thank you for condolences in Japan 2016/8/3 20:23
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I admit there is this "kouden-gaeshi" custom for people in Japan, who show up in person to the wake or the funeral, or send in condolence money to the funeral, usually for the Buddhist style funerals.

But since the burial was in your home country, and your relative was not Japanese (I assume), I don't think you have to strictly follow the custom in Japan.

Also the custom described in the links assumes that each of individuals who showed up came with condolence money - I am assuming that it was not that individuals sent in money, but that the company sent in one funeral wreath from all of the staff.

In that case, you'd be fine with bringing some gift in return for the work place.

Just for comparison, for example, we once sent in a condolence wreath (through flower service) to a funeral of a relative of a friend in the States, of Japanese ancestry, and we received a thank-you greeting card from the immediately family, with the photo of the deceased on it, as a greeting & thank-you.

The company financial help is something that is usually determined by the company employment rules. You could express your gratitude at your group morning meeting in your work place (if there is any), and maybe buy some gifts - some food or sweets of origin in your country - to be shared in your immediate work place. This is also to say thank you for the work they (possibly) did on your behalf while you were away from the workplace for the burial.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Saying thank you for condolences in Japan 2016/8/3 23:56
The company financial help is something that is usually determined by the company employment rules

Just to add, I assume that the wreath was also just customary for the company. In other words, it's either written in their rules, or they just did what they always did for other employees, just so that it would be fair and that you may feel warmer back at work.

So you're just being granted the rights you always had. But of course, that doesn't mean that it wasn't thoughtful, or that you don't owe them appreciation, so like the other posters said, a word of thanks to your direct boss and whoever you know from the administration would be enough. And of course, a small gift for colleagues you know shall help them remember your stepdad.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread