Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How would I say this 2016/8/22 01:55
Thank you in advance for helping me with this.

What would be the proper translation of "Thank you for letting me join your family".
Or something close to it, a phrase that I would say to my fiances family after we are married?.
by Rutherford  

Re: How would I say this 2016/8/22 13:03
I take this s a formal sentence you want to say to your in-laws.

-Kazoku no ichi'in to shite mukaete kudasatte arigato gozaimasu.
(Thank you for accepting/welcoming me as a member of the family.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How would I say this 2016/8/22 22:25
Thank you so much!.
How would I write that in proper hiragana if I may ask?.
by Rutherford rate this post as useful

Re: How would I say this 2016/8/22 22:36
Japanese native people won't say "Thank you for letting me join your family", especially if you are a male.

I would probably say "XXX-ke no ichi-in ni narete ureshii desu"(I am happy to be a member of XXX family", if you are a female(male won't say this unless you are an adopted person), that sounds more natural to me.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: How would I say this 2016/8/23 08:36
"XXX ke no ichi'in ni narete" truly sounds like you became a part of an XXX family institution, and nowadays females would not use that either.
I wrote the sentence to say thank you for ACCEPTING or WELCOMING me, which is a big thing for Japanese parents of certain traditional leaning (as I experienced when I decided to come home with my non-Japanese boyfriend then), and a more formal way to say thank you for allowing me to marry your daughter.

Re: How would I say this 2016/8/23 09:24
Though i do appreciate the second option, I do feel AK has the better option for my situation. Thank you truly.
by Rutherford rate this post as useful

Re: How would I say this 2016/8/23 09:37
Japanese writing, in mixture of hiragana and kanji, by the way, is as follows:

家族の一員として迎えて下さって、ありがとうございます。

-Kazoku no ichi'in to shite mukaete kudasatte arigato gozaimasu.
(Thank you for accepting/welcoming me as a member of the family.)

reply to this thread