Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/22 13:04
Hi all,

I will be visiting Tokyo for 4 days this October. I visited Sapporo and Hakodate last year. I bought one of those instant ramen box (it has about 5 individually wrapped ramen, and not the instant noodle kind). I wondered if there's a place in Tokyo where I can buy that. I really liked the one I bought in Hokkaido (they tastes very similar to the real thing). I don't recall seeing those in supermarket (the supermarket usually sell the cup or instant noodle type).
by DavidWeb (guest)  

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/22 13:29
Do you have. Any of the wrappers for them? There are so man different kinds it's difficult to tell. I assume you mean those flat packs of dry noodles with flavor packs, that you have to cook for serval minutes in a pot? Usual supermarkets carry those, but there are just so many kinds...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/22 14:50
I think OP is talking about fresh ramen packs, not dry ones, sold refrigerated. They're not called "instant ramen" though.

I've occasionally seen them in supermarkets, but in the refrigerated areas, not on the shelves next to the dried ramen. (I haven't really paid attention, so maybe they're in every supermarket all the time.)

I've definitely seen them on sale at the Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum, but hopefully you won't have to go that far. (Unless you want to check out the museum....)
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/22 23:11
it might be ‚牤 or ƒ}ƒ‹‚¿‚á‚ñ³–Ë.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/23 01:10
Rokurinsha in Tokyo Station Ramen Street has takeaway packs of "fresh" noodles and broth. At least they did the last time I was there about a year ago.

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/23 02:37
Thank you all for your responses. Sorry I wasn't being clear. AK has it exactly right. It's that kind. I bought it in Hokkaido and also in one of those Onsen hotel.

It would be great if I could just buy those in a supermarket. I just don't recall seeing that in Aeon (I am staying near Shinagawa station). Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to visit Yokahoma Ramen museum :( It would certainly be interesting.
by DavidWeb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/23 07:19
In that case (dried noodles, that are cooked on the stovetop), they're a pretty staple item that you can find at virtually any supermarket or convenience store. They are sold in the pantry/dry goods section and cost around 500 yen for a pack of 5. Some famous brand are Sapporo Ichiban (white and reddish pack) and Chikin Ramen (orange and brown pack), and the newer, more premium brands (often in gold foil packaging) are quite good. FYI, not sure where you're returning to, but the US has a ban on dried ramen containing chicken and may confiscate your ramen noodles at customs.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/23 07:22

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/23 07:24
It's that kind. I bought it in Hokkaido and also in one of those Onsen hotel.

Wait a minute, if you bought it at a souvenir shop, it might have been the semi-dry (fresh) noodle type rather than the pre-fried dried type. Were the noodles vacuum packed?

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/23 10:01
Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to visit Yokahoma Ramen museum :( It would certainly be interesting.

Just FYI, Shin-Yokohama is 11 minutes from Shinagawa via Shinkansen, and 36 minutes by regular train. (Although as I said, the museum is a good source for fresh ramen, not the dried ramen packets you seem to be looking for.)

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/23 22:13
Hi,

@yllwsmrf
The ramens were vacuumed sealed. They said to consumed within 30 days. I wasn't sure if that was counted as fresh or not. They tasted better than the dried kind. I bought a box (it's almost 1 kg) and the box contained 4 flavors. I also bought another box in Otaru at a souvenir shop that has the crab flavor.

@Urami dearest
I will be spending only 4 days in Tokyo. I've picked Nikko as my one side trip. If I can buy the fresh kind that's vacuumed sealed, I may be tempted to make the trip!

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/23 23:56
David, the packs you are describing are fresh. The noodles are not hard and dried. The hard/dried variety will keep for months, if not years.

I remember purchasing packs of fresh ramen in Hokkaido several years ago. We bought some at the Sapporo beer factory and also at a tourist gift store in Sapporo Station. Most were miso ramen packs. They are meant to be consumed within a few weeks.

You could try to find them at an Antenna Shop in Tokyo. There is a Hokkaido Antenna shop across the street from Tokyo Station on the Yaesu side. There are other Antenna shops in Tokyo from Hokkaido too.

https://yunomi.us/25574/prefecture-specialties-shops-antenna-shops-in-...

I am willing to bet you can find what you're looking for at one of these shops.

Dale

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/24 08:00
The ramens were vacuumed sealed. They said to consumed within 30 days. I wasn't sure if that was counted as fresh or not. They tasted better than the dried kind. I bought a box (it's almost 1 kg) and the box contained 4 flavors. I also bought another box in Otaru at a souvenir shop that has the crab flavor.

Ok, in that case they will be more difficult to find. The suggestion to visit prefectural antennae shops is a good idea. I would expect to find what you're looking for at the prefectures that are known for their ramen, such as Hokkaido and Fukuoka. Keep in mind that these products will still be subject to customs restrictions (if any), but I only bring up that last point since the US seems pretty strict about this in the last few years.

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/24 11:36
Here's a list of antenna shops in Tokyo: http://bento.com/r-antenna.html

(Although some of them will take longer to get to from Shinagawa than the Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum.)

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/25 07:54
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I will be visiting Ginza and Asakusa, so those antenna stores near Yurakucho would work really well. Thank you all. This will be my fourth time visiting Japan, I've never noticed these stores in the past.

David

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/25 10:33
David, please don't lose sight of the fact that freshly served ramen trumps any takeaway food (or packaged food) any day! Go eat some ramen while there! I live in the Bay Area in California. The worst ramen I've had in Japan is about as good as the best ramen here. And we have some decent stuff around here.

I'll be in Tokyo in less than 2 weeks, and though my tastes go beyond ramen, I will surely have a bowl or three while there. I won't be bringing any home.

Dale

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/27 05:04
I've read through this with more than passing interest. We're heading back to Japan this Fall. We have been craving ramen since we returned home, especially Tonkotsu ramen (strongly nap-inducing), and I agree with the OP on some levels because, unfortunately, we don't even have "pretty good" ramen shops where we live...we have abominations that make some homemade chicken soup, add broccoli and carrots and then toss in some ramen noodles to cook for awhile (I am not making this up). Sooo, yeah, I'm thinking maybe I ought to bring a collapsible suitcase with us this trip (1st checked bag free!) and fill it with a passable reminder of why we need to return to Japan for a third time ;-)
by luvsdaheat rate this post as useful

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/27 05:12
@luvsdaheat, don't you get two free checked bags?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/27 05:18
If you are flying out of Narita on your way home, the airport gift shops have them, for sure. As someone else mentioned, ramen museum is not far from Shinagawa. The gift shop even has vacuum packed menma and chashu.
by Taco Grande (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying instant Ramen in Tokyo 2016/8/27 10:48
@John B Digs

Since it's the wife and I you're right, of course, two free bags it is!
by luvsdaheat rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread