Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Work visa with no degree 2016/8/22 14:33
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but just wanted to ask someone in the hope someone with experience can help.

Very long story short, I'm in Japan working legally on a working holiday visa, I'm British and live with my girlfriend who I've been with for 3 years now. My visa expires in March 2017. If she can't get a visa to come to England, I want to stay with her in Japan. I work as an English teacher and love my job and my boss really likes me and wants me to stay, however I don't have a degree so can't get a work visa. Can they help me? Is there anything I can do? It seems insane that the only way to stay is to get married. I've been working here since March this year and love it here!

Additional info - I speak Japanese and have a TEFL

Thank you very much
by dcd  

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/22 16:47
You are working legally but dont have a work visa?
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/22 16:49
OP is working on a working holiday visa, so yes that is legal.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/22 17:16
Yes I'm working and travelling, that's the whole point of this visa
by dcd rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/22 17:49
I so need to read the questions better. Sorry.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/22 18:20
If you don't have a degree, you need 3 years' experience. If you don't have that either, then no visa.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/22 18:25
If you want to work as an English language teacher, the requirements re either at least a bachelor's degree or three or more years of English teaching experience. So unless you have had teaching experience elsewhere for two and half years additionally (or two years by next spring), your employer will not be blue to sponsor you for a work visa even if they want to.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/22 19:11
Well I'll have a years experience, does experience from teaching privately in England count?

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/22 19:43
Private teaching won't count - it would have to have been your job
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/22 19:56
Hmm not what I wanted to hear but not surprised, but thank you for the replies! Looks like I'll have to look down the path of getting married, and god knows that's not going to be easy

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/23 17:01
Yeah, because getting married just to get a visa is always going to work out well. Good luck with that.
by Trumplethinskin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/24 05:55
also your on a WHV, which is meant to be 6 months working, 6 months travelling give or take. so i wouldn't be telling immigration that you have a years teaching experience in japan...
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: Work visa with no degree 2016/8/24 07:53
also your on a WHV, which is meant to be 6 months working, 6 months travelling give or take. so i wouldn't be telling immigration that you have a years teaching experience in japan...

WHV holders are not required to balance working and traveling during their stay in Japan. You can spend the entire time travelling or the entire time working, and the time spent working would be credited when applying for a work visa.

Yeah, because getting married just to get a visa is always going to work out well. Good luck with that.

Not to mention technically illegal, but this couple has been together for 3 years already including 2 years before he came to Japan, so saying they are only marrying for the visa is likely presuming too much.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread