Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Work as an ALT with a Russian passport? 2016/8/26 02:45
Hey guys! This has been bugging me ever since I wanted to come to Japan as an ESL teacher. So here's the deal, I was born in Russia, but grew up in the UK due to the fact that my stepfather is British. I also had to return to Russia because of family reasons, and I never had the chance to obtain a UK passport. Because of all of this, my English is on a native level, (I speak and understand English better than Russian, my de facto native language) and I have a CPE (C2) certificate.

So, will I be able to land a job as an English instructor in Japan, or will they turn me down ASAP because I don't have a UK passport?

Also want to point out that I'm getting a ESL degree and going to take TKT (Cambridge Teaching Knowledge Test) and CELTA.

Thank you!
by dmrobeson  

Re: Work as an ALT with a Russian passport? 2016/8/26 12:30
Your chances may depend on when exactly you returned to Russia, as the number of years English language education received is a factor. How many have you had? Did you attend first, middle/primary, secondary school and sixth form/FE college in the UK?

Need more info really, things are rarely cut and dry. Some employers may prefer to hire a citizen of an English speaking country, but simply having a Russian passport doesn't stop you from working as an English teacher.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work as an ALT with a Russian passport? 2016/8/26 15:52
I've lived there for 4 years, so I don't think it will make any difference. Primary school and one year of secondary.

Do you think the fact that I have an English second name and surname will help?
by dmrobeson rate this post as useful

reply to this thread