Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Immigration Requirements for Drivers License 2016/8/29 19:24
I am interested in knowing if there is a minimum level of immigration status for getting a Japanese Drivers License. My base license is from New Zealand so it should be recognisable for conversion, but I can't find anywhere regarding the immigration.

Same question goes for ownership and/or entering a car lease agreement.

The company hiring me is trying to arrange a COE however that may be a drawn out process and we are just trying to gather how much we will be able to do as far as having a normal life in the interim.

by ZKHAB  

Re: Immigration Requirements for Drivers License 2016/8/30 15:10
You must hold a NZ full license at least 90 days since you have got your driving license in NZ to convert into JP license with your passport.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration Requirements for Drivers License 2016/8/30 17:23
So there is no immigration status requirement to make the application for a driver license in Japan.

For example could somebody on a visitors pass apply for the license? Or does there need to be some kind of visa/COE?
by ZKHAB rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration Requirements for Drivers License 2016/8/30 18:41
You must have an address in Japan, which probably means that you need to be a resident of some sort (not Temporary Visitor status). For ID, you need to show Resident Card, and also you need either your "juminhyo" (resident record, obtainable from the city hall in Japan) or passport and some local ID that shows that you reside in Japan). And yes you must have stayed at least three months in the country where you have obtained your driver's license (NZ in your case).
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration Requirements for Drivers License 2016/8/30 18:55
No particular visa is required if you have Zairyu card(as a proof of JP residential address) and passport.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration Requirements for Drivers License 2016/8/30 19:17
And since "Zairyu card" (resident card) is needed, you cannot apply for driver's license conversion if you are on Temporary Visitor status.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration Requirements for Drivers License 2016/8/31 00:44
Why not use international driving permit, you can use it until 1 year
Convert your license to Japanese one after one year
by Kamal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration Requirements for Drivers License 2016/8/31 10:07
Thanks all, this gives me plenty to work with.

May well do the international license for a year, though it would mean having to detour back through NZ to arrange.. not the worst thing in the world.

by ZKHAB rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration Requirements for Drivers License 2016/8/31 13:25
If possible you should do the licence conversion instead of IDP, should you plan to stay longterm here.

The only concern will be proving 90days residency after licence issuance, other than that it is straight forward conversion. No need for written and driving test.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Japan/Japan-Guide/Travel-Leisure/Dr...
by ..@ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration Requirements for Drivers License 2016/8/31 16:50
The normal progression is to get and IDP to cover you for a year, and to do the license conversion within that time period. That way you have an uninterrupted ability to drive and it ends up being more convenient than going the conversion-only route despite the extra step involved.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread