Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Returning Japan after leaving early on visa? 2016/8/31 14:22
Hello,
Currently I'm studying at a language school in Shibuya, but due to personal issues that have arrived, I'd like to leave the school and return to Canada, as soon as possible.

But in April begins classes in another school in Tokyo for a degree that I am interested in going to.

Would it be possible that I return to my home country of Canada until April and then return to go to classes, or would that bring up issues since it's not such a big time span between entries?
Or would I simply have to go through applying for a new visa since my current one lasts until September of next year but I'll be leaving early.

Basically, I'd like to leave Japan next week, my student visa lasts one more year, but I'd like to re-enter in April. Is this possible?
by Moetechmo  

Re: Returning Japan after leaving early on visa? 2016/9/1 00:28
If you leave school you're not fulfilling the requirements of a student status. I'm pretty sure you're required to apply for a new visa with the new school.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Returning Japan after leaving early on visa? 2016/9/2 12:47
Have you applied with and been accepted by the new school for starting in April?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Returning Japan after leaving early on visa? 2016/9/2 14:09
This should be fine as long as you do not forget to report your departure at your city office before leaving Japan. After re-entering, go register your new address at the city hall as you normally would, and also report your new school to immigration.

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/18.html
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Returning Japan after leaving early on visa? 2016/9/2 21:22
when you leave the school, the school and you have to report your leave to immigration independently (probably within 14 days). then, you have to find a new school to keep your student status valid, (probably within 3 months or less ?).

if you don't leave the school, but if you do 休学 (keep your student position in the school alive, but you DON'T stay in Japan), you can keep the status under the permission of the school.
when you come back to Japan, you have to return to the original school (復学), and you may change the school to a new one.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread