Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I get a Local or Overseas degree 2016/9/3 23:06
Hi,

I'm currently 20, going to be spending 2 years serving my nation(Singapore). My plan(s) right now is to either study locally or in Japan for a degree, then go to a language school in Japan and looking for potential jobs while studying there.

One thing I realized is that, I don't know if it is worth studying for a degree at a Japanese university (economics,engineering) because that's what the local Japanese will be studying for. Would it be better if I get a degree locally(I live in Singapore)?

At the moment this is what I can think of. As for the reasons why I want to move over to Japan to live and work, it is because I appreciate having 4 seasons year round (compared to summer year long in Singapore), better food and services, a more diverse and stronger economy. I've been to Japan twice, once on a tour, the other as a backpacking trip.

So,

Plan 1 : Study locally - Go to language school in Japan - Find a job

Plan 2 : Study Japanese language - Go to Japanese university - Find a job

What do you think?

Thank you for reading through my post, I really appreciate your feedback :)!
by Johnsg (guest)  

Re: Should I get a Local or Overseas degree 2016/9/5 12:51
Hi,
I'm currently 20, going to be spending 2 years serving my nation(Singapore). My plan(s) right now is to either study locally or in Japan for a degree, then go to a language school in Japan and looking for potential jobs while studying there.

Qn:
Why study in Japan?
What are your future plans?
A clearer topic would be good.

One thing I realized is that, I don't know if it is worth studying for a degree at a Japanese university (economics,engineering) because that's what the local Japanese will be studying for. Would it be better if I get a degree locally(I live in Singapore)?

Comment: I too do not know as I do not know what your objective is. If it is to study obtain a bachelors, Singapore has some of the best Universities in the world. Not that Japan is bad but you would have to study the local language up to a level where you could attend University plus understand the technical lingo in Japanese. (Unless your IQ is way up there I wouldn't advise studying in a foreign language)

Note: There are international sections of Japanese universities where they do not teach in Japanese, though I believe this is more for foreign exchange students (6 months - a year).

At the moment this is what I can think of. As for the reasons why I want to move over to Japan to live and work, it is because I appreciate having 4 seasons year round (compared to summer year long in Singapore), better food and services, a more diverse and stronger economy. I've been to Japan twice, once on a tour, the other as a backpacking trip.

I won't say much in terms of stronger economy as this subjective. At least now I understand you want to live and work there. You do understand that unlike Singapore, Japan is less open to foreigners. Unless you have experience in MNCs, the only two ways I can foresee you getting an easy job is by being
1. An English Teacher (before 35 y/o and have a degree of any kind from anywhere)
2. Become a tour guide for foreigners such as yourself. The more foreign languages you can speak the better.

So,
Plan 1 : Study locally - Go to language school in Japan - Find a job
Plan 2 : Study Japanese language - Go to Japanese university - Find a job
What do you think?

Truly depends on your academics. Can you enter a local university? Can you study Japanese till JLPT1? (need not study this in Japan, you can do so whilst serving your nation) Lastly, do inquire with the Japanese Association/Embassy/Tourism Organisation in Singapore to learn more about the entry requirements and modules of the foundation year of your desired Japanese University e.g. Waseda U, Kyoto U, Tokyo U

Thank you for reading through my post, I really appreciate your feedback :)
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I get a Local or Overseas degree 2016/9/5 15:00
It is up to where you want to build your career and live long-term, and why you want to study/live in Japan (apart from the four seasons, which are nice, but climate can change - as it has been - and to make the big move you'd want to have a good reason :)).

Also you might consider whether you want to study for the degree "in" Japan but in English (plan 1 seems to suggest that, but there are only so many courses available only in Enlish), you want to study for the degree "in" Japan in Japanese (then you need to attend a language school in Japan for 1.5 - 2 years "first"), or you want to study for the degree in Singapore in English first, and take it from there.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Should I get a Local or Overseas degree 2016/9/5 21:28
I would totally suggest plan 1, it's
1- easier
2- cheaper
3- , this plan will buy you more time,even if you change your mind at a later date

Get some Japanese language study while you are completing degree. Also if you have degree in some of newer areas like IT automation, robotics you will be in good demand in Japan
In fact your Mandarin skills coupled with English and Japanese can also be helpful to land you a job
by Kamal (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread