Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A few grammar questions 2016/9/16 22:26
I have two questions about Japanese grammar and would like to know how they differ from other similar grammar. The following sentences are taken from an anime (+10 points of you can guess which one!). Please have a look at the bold pats below.

1. 「君たちのなした神に対する数々の無礼、その報いを身をもって味わうがいい!」

Is 〜するがいい similar in meaning to 〜するのがいい or not?

2. 「そんなサイヤ人を二人でなぶり、滅ぼすとしよう!

My question here is whether 〜するとしよう is the same as しようとする? If not, how are they different?

Thanks in advance!
by wawawiwa  

Re: A few grammar questions 2016/9/18 11:31
味わうがいい means 味わえ
滅ぼすとしよう means 滅ぼそう

Both expressions are used for dramatic effect.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: A few grammar questions 2016/9/18 13:10
Thanks for the reply, AK. That clarified it.
That would make sense, given the context in which both expressions were used.

As for different variations of しよう, I've seen ~しようではないか used in video games before too. Would you say this has the same dramatic effect as するとしよう?
by wawawiwa rate this post as useful

Re: A few grammar questions 2016/9/18 13:58
Just to add a bit:

味わうがいい is like "thou shalt..." so it is an order 味わえ.

滅ぼすとしよう is like "I shall now..."
And ...しようではないか would be, yes, similar to としよう.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: A few grammar questions 2016/9/18 14:47
Cool. Can't get much clearer than that. Thanks!

Re: A few grammar questions 2016/9/19 17:54
Hi wawawiwa,

1. 〜するがいい is quite similar to 〜するのがいい, but there is a slight difference between those two phrases.

〜するがいい is the phrase that you kind of forcefully make somebody do something.
But 味わうがいい means "take this". In that case you mentioned, the God will attack Goku and Trunks because of their rudeness against gods. Well as I wrote above 味わうがいい is "take this" or "you deserve to be taken this".

〜するのがいい simply suggest to do something. In other word it is like "would better do something"

2. 〜するとしよう is like "shall/will do something", and しようとする means "try to do something".

Sorry for my English if you don't get what I meant.

Hope that helps!
by Goku (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A few grammar questions 2016/9/19 20:21
Dear Goku,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule (saving the universe against evil gods, in different timelines no less) to reply to this rather complicated, trivial grammatical question. You're awesome. Your friends and family obviously don't give you enough credit :)

reply to this thread