Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change from tourist visa to work visa 2016/10/12 06:30
Dear people,

I know similar questions have been asked before and that a lot of information is out on the internet. But every situation is different and after thorough research I'm still left wondering what my chances are given my specific situation.

My situation is as follows:

- Dutch, non-native English speaker but at native level (108 Toefl score)
- Just graduated as a Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Studied abroad for half a year in the U.S.A.
- I'm white (this seems to make a difference in some cases)
- No work experience, but I did tutor some elementary schoolchildren during my college years.
- Girlfriend living in Kanagawa near the border of Tokyo where I can live (marrying is not yet an option)

Given my situation, what is the risk of not finding a company that will sponsor me to get a work visa (for being an English teacher) while on my 3 month tourist visa. Are there people here who got a work visa while in Japan with less credentials? Also, as a non-native speaker is it a requirement to have 12 years of English education in addition to a bachelor degree to be eligible for a visa in the first place? Thank you for your insight.

by KevinKA  

Re: Change from tourist visa to work visa 2016/10/12 10:32
At the very least, your bachelor degree should have been taught in English. Was it?

Do you have an accent? Lots of native-level English speakers aren't hired if their accent isn't American, British or Australian.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change from tourist visa to work visa 2016/10/12 12:38
It was not an international bachelor. However, all the literature was in English, as were many lectures and tutorial meetings. So in practice there is not much of a difference, but unfortunately I cannot claim that it was officially a completely English Bachelor.

Luckily I do not have much of an accent and I can say with certainty that any accent I might have is significantly less strong than some I have heard from non-native teachers in Japan on Youtube.
by KevinKA rate this post as useful

Re: Change from tourist visa to work visa 2016/10/12 18:11
For immigration purposes, native speaker = 12 years of education primarily in English, so you don't qualify.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Change from tourist visa to work visa 2016/10/12 20:21
Is the 12 years of education taught in English a hard requirement for non-natives to get a work visa? It seems a bit arbitrary given that my (and other Dutch people) English is arguably better than some of the non-natives that do meet this requirement. Especially if my Toefl score shows that I'm at a native level.

Re: Change from tourist visa to work visa 2016/10/12 20:50
I am not a native speaker of English. French is my second official language after Arabic. Also, I have never been to the states. However, I have an American accent. I taught English for 1 year and a half until I got sick of teaching.
If you don't sound like a native speaker, I think you will find a hard time getting a teaching job.
The actual question is whether if you could change your tourist visa to work, to be honest, I don't have an answer.
Wish you all the best.
by Doesn'tmatter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change from tourist visa to work visa 2016/10/12 21:03
Do I understand correctly that you are living in Japan on a work visa? If so, did you acquired this while being on a tourist visa? And yes, I would say I have an American accent, although of course, not perfect.

Re: Change from tourist visa to work visa 2016/10/12 23:41
No, I'm on a spouse visa. I entered as a tourist then change the status to marriage visa (with the help of a lawyer) to give no chance to mistakes.
Don't think only about teaching English job. There are some international companies that need people who speak English and other languages. What about working in hotels/tourism industry related field/services...
Good luck!

by Doesn't matter (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread