Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need advice 2016/10/13 09:48
I want to go to a Japanese Language School in April 2017 and the applications start now but my job might be promoting me which would be great because of the experience I would get, however it's not a company I want to stay with for that much longer (getting burnt out on it right now), however of course I want the supervisor experience I would get. I also have been saving money for more then two years to go study in Japan (for two years) and I'm not sure what I'd do after I finish it, I don't know at the end of the day if the language will help me or not.

I just really need to know if studying for 2 years (or going at all) is worth it at the end of the day?

Thanks!
by Melging  

Re: Need advice 2016/10/13 11:58
Probably not the answer you are looking for but honestly only you can decide what the right decision is for you.

Maybe think about what you want to do. What will 2 years of Japanese language get you? Where do you want to go after that?
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need advice 2016/10/13 12:00
Probably best to ask family and friends that know you well. The internet isn't a place for these questions.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Need advice 2016/10/13 16:09
Your question is too open. You don't specify what kind of job you do or in what industry, so we can't even tell if your career would benefit from learning Japanese. Can you be more specific?
by Aru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need advice 2016/10/14 01:02
I wanted to go ask where it's unbiased really, I asked friends and family but most of them don't want me to go because they just rather me stay where I live now.

Oh sorry for not detailing it better, I would like to study business (management, maybe accounting).
by Melging rate this post as useful

Re: Need advice 2016/10/14 07:26
If you have a chance to come to Japan, learn the language to a high level and get your study done, then do that. In general, I would suggest doing study early in life - it is easier and you are prepared to live more frugally.

Doing a job and then trying to study later is much harder because you get trapped in your everyday life. You might get married, have kids, house loan (in no particular order).

Plus, if you are wanting to business/accounting and are good enough to be promoted at your current job, there is no reason to think it wouldn't happen again.

by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Need advice 2016/10/14 12:59
Well, that's still a very general description. I mean, every industry has business management and accounting depts., but I'll give my point of view.

It depends on your goals, really. Speaking Japanese is one of those skills that can either significantly boost your career if you really master it - at N2 at the very, very least - or just fills up your resume and makes you look more "international". Anything below N2 will hardly be considered as a real skill.

What I want to say is that, if your goal is to get access to bilingual positions and use it a skill to grow your career, then you really need to get serious, thus going to a language school in Japan for two years is a great choice. Saturday morning classes or summer courses will not get you there. On the other hand, if that's not your purpose, then save yourself the trouble and don't interrupt your career path.

Then, from a different perspective, consider that by being a full-time student you'll be putting your career development and salary income on hold. Depending on your age, financial situation, financial and personal goals, this is an important trade-off that only you can assess.

If you're young (26-27 or less) and you have the financial means, I would recommend you to go to a language school in Japan. I would say you still have time to quit your job for a while, learn Japanese, and get back into the game without falling too behind.

If you're in your 30's, I wouldn't do it, as this is usually the timing where you start gaining momentum, maturing as a professional and getting important promotions. Your experience gets really valuable in this phase and continuity is important. Leaving all and moving to japan to be a full-time student would be a bit like pushing the reset button. Not saying it's wrong, but it depends on your priorities.

Third choice would be to find a job in Japan that doesn't require Japanese language. Then work and study in Japan at the same time. Is not impossible, but a bit difficult (not many jobs where Japanese is not needed).

Re: Need advice 2016/10/15 23:01
If it's to boost your situation in your home country, you're probably better off staying put.
If it's because you think you might fall in love with Japan and want to make a life here, you'll only find out by coming over.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need advice 2016/10/16 01:18
I would want to study the language and boost my career, I'm 21 and I work retail so I feel like I'm at that perfect age where I'm young and I don't have much holding me back, even if I get the promotion in November and I leave in April for Japan at least I can still get the experience I want from my current job.

Financially I have been saving up for two years to study abroad so I am almost finish my goal, Japan is a really beautiful place with tons of culture and is much more exciting compared to where I live now. I feel like my life right now is get up, go to work, then come home (and hanging out with friends in the mix).

I'm just worried that I go to Japan and i have difficulty learning the language and it's not what it's like I thought it was going to be and waste my money, etc.

But then again I'm also worried that I get stuck with the current job I am with right now and stay (when I really don't want my current job to be a long term thing).

I know learning a language can be very beneficial because people will look at that and see I'm a hard worker.

I did that one hour a week lesson thing and it's not what I like, I felt it was too much information in one hour and after my lesson I didn't feel motivated to study as much as I could because nobody speaks the language where I live, I can't really ask people questions, etc. I of course did learn stuff but obviously not nearly as much I could learn say the first two weeks of a Japanese language school class plus the fact that I will still be learning the language outside of class where so many people speak the language.

Re: Need advice 2016/10/16 14:44
Thanks for giving more details.

You know, most people at 21 are just graduating college, worrying about finding a decently paid job and starting to make some experience and money. You're 21, but you're already being promoted to supervisor, and even have savings to study in Japan for two years. I would say you're in a privileged situation. You could still come to Japan, stay two years, be back and perfectly catch up with everyone else, plus having the added value of an international experience and the japanese language proficiency.

If it was me, I would definitely go to Japan.

Re: Need advice 2016/10/17 06:23
I would try to find employment in Japan, in the field you want for a career, and add language study on top of that. Might be difficult, coming from retail and going to Finance/Accounting, but a dual approach to your career would be best if it can be achieved. Adding a language is very good - but it is just an addition to an underlying career supporting set of skills and knowledge.

IMO, supervisory experience in a non-career path job adds little.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need advice 2016/11/15 15:36
Update: So some things have happened while I posted my last post and I am not longer going to continue working at my current company and my last day is on the 16th, I rather not going into detail but let's just say I saw the final truth into my current job and rather move on with my life. With all that being said I am fully ready to pursue my goal of living and studying in Japan. I made my choice that I am going in July 2017 and am going to start filling out the paperwork with Go Go Nihon. Is there anything I should know before I go fully in?

Thank you!

Re: Need advice 2016/11/16 10:07
I've no particular advice at this point as I've never done study abroad in Japan but I just wanted to wish you good luck! :)
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need advice 2016/11/16 14:32
Studying in Japan at a language school for two years will allow you to pass the JLPT N1 and speak Japanese at a level nowhere close to fluency but good enough to conduct business.

I got my N1 that way and then went on to a business school. I now work in investment real estate for a Japanese company in Tokyo.

It's not an easy language and not very useful outside of Japan but if your goal is to work here then you should go to a language school if possible.
by S King (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need advice 2016/11/16 15:30
@Harimogura Thank you :)

@S King Yeah I am definitely not going in expecting it to be easy, my Japanese right now is non-existent, I only know a tiny bit. I am planning on learning the Katakana syllabary before July (it shouldn't even take 1 month if I study a little bit every day) so I won't be totally confused at first. The reason I want to go to study in Japan and learn the language is multiple reasons really. I want the study abroad experience, I find Japan a beautiful country, and I really want to experience living there and learning another language as well really helps your brain.

I also want to do business and I'm not 100% sure as of right now what I want to do in it so I am definitely willing to live in Japan longer then 2 years if the oppuertunity is there. I just turned 22 last week and right now I have no respoinibility, I'm not dating anyone, I don't have my own business, no kids, etc. If I don't do this now I won't be able to in the future. And not only that It will make me really independent which I want.

First things first I got to get a passport, been slacking on it haha.

Re: Need advice 2016/11/16 15:38
Learn katakana and hiragana. Learning both won't be too much work for a month; it should only take a couple of weeks if you study everyday! Get an app that helps you learn the characters; I like Obenkyo for Android.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need advice 2016/11/17 10:32
Ok, I'll do it thanks!

reply to this thread