Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wasedas SILS or Sophias FLA? ICU? 2016/10/21 15:59
Hey everyone! I'm currently a high school senior (IB student) and I'm planning to go to a liberal arts college in Japan.
I applied for Waseda university's SILS programme (April 2017) and got in with an unconditional offer, so I'm set to go there if I want... But from what I see from forums and from what I hear from other people the SILS programme isn't that good and their classes are a joke for someone who's native language is English. So I'm having doubts about entering SILS. I've been looking at other universities such as Sophia's FLA and ICU and I'm definitely interested in them. I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about the quality of classes for these universities? And if it's worth rejecting SILS to see if I will get into those colleges? (Since I've heard both of these universities are difficult to get into.)
I still have to take my final exams for IB, but I got a predicted grade of 39.
Thanks guys!
by Miichan (guest)  

Re: Wasedas SILS or Sophias FLA? ICU? 2016/10/21 23:40
Hello there! I also got an Unconditional Offer from Waseda's SILS, but I'm still waiting for Sophia's result before deciding. If I get accepted with a scholarship at Sophia, I'll probably be going there instead. I'll tell you what I know and why I made my decision, but the final decision is up to you.

In terms of overall reputation of the universities in Japan, both are recognized as one of the tops. But when it comes to the liberal arts school/faculty, many seem to believe that Waseda's SILS is still inferior to the FLA. I'm not sure why as I haven't studied at either, but I've read that it's because of SILS being relatively new compared to the FLA, and also that they have quite a lot of other schools and students.

My mother (Japanese) also prefers the FLA because she thinks that fewer students would mean better education. (Having larger student body like Waseda has its benefits though) But she also says that the campus of Waseda is better than Sophia... As for ICU, I haven't made any particular research into it because I didn't see any April admissions, but I've read that they are better than SILS as well.

For me, I don't mind either way. My personal goal is to just enjoy the experience and use the time to explore and pursue my personal interests. I chose Japan mainly because I'm already fluent enough in Japanese and my grandparents are there, although they live in rural areas far from Tokyo. I didn't choose a Japanese course because I believe that I'm not proficient enough in Japanese (reading is slow and writing is...) and that studying in English will be a better experience overall.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say is, consider your purpose for studying in Japan, research which university you think would fit what you want, and finally, make your own decision.
by fleckyx rate this post as useful

Re: Wasedas SILS or Sophias FLA? ICU? 2016/11/6 21:17
So as a 2nd year Waseda student, I'm understandably pro-Waseda and think Waseda is the better among those three.

1. Waseda has a huge student body, so more networking opportunities.

2. An unbeatable alumni network (Not just Japan, but China & Korea as well), so more networking points.

3. It's in a really, really cool location for undergraduate students. You will learn the Waseda and Takadanobaba area to heart, the Waseda stomping grounds.

Finally, so far as education is involved you the classes leave some stuff to be desired, but you cam still pick Japanese classes which are much, much better. For example there is a class on 「恋愛理論」. There's even one on geishas, and the list goes on...

You'll meet some cool people and enjoy your time immensely, hope to see you at Waseda.
by St3cky rate this post as useful

reply to this thread