Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can a foreigner be a model in japan? 2016/10/25 21:13
Hi.

I'm a 20-year-old Filipino with Spanish, American and Swedish blood. As a result I have very round eyes and pale skin. When I travel to other countries I am sometimes mistaken to be a Japanese. A friend from Japan once told me I look like Hashimoto Kanna.

I would like to take my chances and apply for modelling job in Japan. Is there any way a foreigner can apply for one overseas?
by michiechix  

Re: How can a foreigner be a model in japan? 2016/10/26 07:51
For someone to hire a model, they need to know what they look like and how they move. They're not going to get a good idea of that without seeing you in person.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can a foreigner be a model in japan? 2016/10/26 17:32
Unless you already have an extensive portfolio then you don't qualify for a modelling visa which means no hiring from outside of Japan. On top of that it takes several months/years to become famous enough to live on modelling alone which means you'd need a second job in the mean time.

I myself work in real estate but model for fun a few times a month. Japan has no shortage of foreign models. The first and last time I went to an audition there were at least 200 other applicants for only 5 roles in a commercial.
by S King rate this post as useful

Re: How can a foreigner be a model in japan? 2016/10/27 09:33
As the posters above said, it's not easy to be a full time model unless you are already with an agency and have a strong portfolio. It is, however, fairly easy to occasionally pick up modeling jobs. I've done modeling in shows for fashion schools, music videos, a few harajuku-style brand events, and one commercial. Because the entry bar for a lot of these small jobs is low (some just want any fairly pretty foreigner) the competition is high. But it is fun to do sometimes, just make sure you have a real job that provides a visa too.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can a foreigner be a model in japan? 2016/10/27 11:01
Thank you so much for yours answers. I guess I will have to find a stable job first in Japan before trying to find a place in modelling.
by michiechix rate this post as useful

reply to this thread