Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do I need another visa? 2016/10/26 21:28
I am 18 years old as of this post. My dad is Japanese and my mom is a Filipino. They split 2 years ago and now I have no contact with my mother.

I am planning to go to Japan this December 2016 for a vacation and to see my dad and other relatives. I currently posses a Japanese passport (just renewed it earlier this year) and a photocopy of a document saying that I have a certificate of recognition as a Filipino citizen.

My question is, will I be able to go to Japan with my Japanese passport and the photocopy of the document without a Philippine visa?
I fear that:
1)I may get "deported" because I have no Philippine visa
2) I may not get pass the immigration at the airport

Should I get a Philippine visa? I am planning to permanently move to Japan next year with my Father.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I hope I get a response soon.
by sasschan  

Re: Do I need another visa? 2016/10/27 10:06
If you have a Japanese passport, I cannot see a reason they won't allow you into Japan for any reason. They don't need to know all your history, do they? A Japanese passport should be enough to get into Japan, period. Unless, I'm missing something very obvious, this seems like a no-brainer, right?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need another visa? 2016/10/27 14:29
You have no contact with your Philippina mother and you're coming to Japan to see your dad? Where and who are you living with?

If you have a Japanese passport then logically you should be registered as a Japanese national meaning your country is Japan and they wouldn't have a reason to deport you.
by S King rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need another visa? 2016/10/27 16:39
If you have a Japanese passport. Japan must recognize you as one of their citizens. I'm doubtful you'll have issues or require a visa for your own country.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need another visa? 2016/10/27 19:11
Thank you so much for the swift replies!

Ah I see... I'm just afraid that they might question me at the immigration because I don't have a Philippine visa even though I have stayed here for a long time.

@S King You have no contact with your Philippina mother and you're coming to Japan to see your dad? Where and who are you living with?

Yes. My dad mentioned that I should go and visit Japan when he last visited here 2 months ago.

I currently live at Taguig and I live alone.
by sasschan rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need another visa? 2016/10/28 07:47
I understand you get a bit nervous only because you know your situation, but like others said, they don't need to know your/ your parents stories. You are both Japanese and Philippino so I don't think you need a visa.

My kids are dual citizens of Australia and Japan. When they depart Australia, they present Australian passport- when arriving in Japan, present Japanese passport. Do not need to show both passports.
It may become an issue when you move to Japan permanently next year as you have to choose 1 nationality when you reach 20 years of age.
by Nori sushi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need another visa? 2016/11/6 21:32
No worries at the immigration on arrival at Japan.
As everybody say, as long as you have Japanese passport, you don't need any visa!

If I were you, I would bring Fillipino passport or official documnts to proof citizenship in Phillines, because those Japanese without a ticket to retun Japan will be required to present his/her visa of a foreig country or tickets to the third country, etc by airline at check-in.
by Mabuhay (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread