Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Some questions about being an ALT in Japan 2016/10/27 19:05
I've been offered a position as an ALT in Japan. I'm super excited, and I'm expecting it to be very fun, but also very challenging. There are some things I can't find the answers for online, so I was hoping someone with some experience might be able to answer them for me.

They said I can go in June; the later I can go the better, because I own a flat and need to organise letting it out, etc. But when I get there by June, won't it be the summer holidays? So I understand I need to have money in advance until I wait for the paycheck, but what am I supposed to during summer and will I need more money than usual because there'll be a paycut? I'll be with Interac; will I get even a little salary or just none at all during the summer holiday? Just want to know so I can be prepared.

I am fully prepared to conform to Japanese business dress standards, but I don't like wearing skirts. I will if I have to, but is it acceptable for me to wear very smart trousers instead?

My main worry is Christmas time. I've never spent Christmas away from my family, and it's my favourite holiday. I really don't mind working on that day, but I would be a bit upset to spend it on my own in a foreign country. Is it relatively easy to organise going out on this day with colleagues or friends, or do other ALT's organise something? I don't know anybody in Japan yet!

Thanks in advance for any input, I greatly appreciate it!! :)
by Maria P (guest)  

Re: Some questions about being an ALT in Japan 2016/10/28 12:26
June is a bit of an odd time to go, because it's the end of the first term but still a few weeks out from summer vacation. Are you taking over for a leaving teacher? Generally ALTs start with a new term either April, September, or January. As for summer holiday pay, I think it varies based on area- I've heard of full pay, 80%, 50%, and none. You'll have to check your contract.

Slacks are fine, even for women.

Christmas will depend on your area. Most decent sized cities with a foreign population will have a pub or other kind of event going on (sometimes even a proper Christmas dinner) and if you have friends in the area its easy to plan something. For most Japanese people it's a regular day or, for younger people, a special date night, so I wouldn't expect your colleagues to do anything, though if there aren't many other foreigners around you could try to arrange your own Christmas party.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Some questions about being an ALT in Japan 2016/11/6 23:07
I used to work for an ALT agent in Japan, not interac though :-)

Ususally training strats in March, August or December, as new terms start in April, September and January, so June sounds a bit srange for me as well.
However, there are many English programs for pupils organised by BOE, private organisation during the summer vacation, some ALTs will be dispatced for that also.

Ususally such thing will be explaned at the interview as well as that Christmas in Japan is the working day.
About wage, whether montly or hourly and how it will be during vacation period must be explanied also.
Only applicants who agreed all of them (and have no crime record) will be offered a position.
You had better contact the person in charge as soon as possible!

Here is the website of a consultant(?) who might be your adviser.
http://ishijls.webnode.jp/
by Ex Staff (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread