Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Passport? (Legally adopted) 2016/11/3 00:39
I'm Filipina and my biological parents are both Filipinos. My Japanese dad adopted me when I was 3 years old. We have the papers and proofs from the court that I was legally adopted. I'm 21 years old now. Do you think that it is possible for me to get a Japanese passport? thankyou in advance.
by Guest (guest)  

Re: Japanese Passport? (Legally adopted) 2016/11/3 16:57
If you were legally adopted maybe your adoptive father entered you into his koseki. If he did, then get a copy of that document and you should have no problem obtaining a passport.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Passport? (Legally adopted) 2016/11/3 18:51
If it is true that you have been adopted by a Japanese father when you were 3 years. You should have already a Japanese passport since your dad is Japanese. So, asking the question about whether if you could have a Japanese passport is somehow irrelevant.

I don't know other details about your case. So, I guess no one could tell you yes or no. We need to know other information. For example, do you live with your Japanese father now in Japan or Philippine? are you living with your Japanese father since you were 3 years old?

If this is a true case of adoption. Then, you should have on NO PROBLEMS getting a Japanese passport at all. As the Paul said above, if you have a Japanese father, you should be already in your father's family register. As you can see, the important things in your case lies in the details.
by doesn'tmatter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Passport? (Legally adopted) 2016/11/3 19:03
Thankyou for answering my question. Yes, my dad was here until September 2016 and he stays and lives with us whenever he goes on a vacation in the Philippines. Right now he is in Japan and undergoing chemo therapy that's why we all want to visit him. we've never been to Japan that's why we are all unfamiliar with the process.

Anyway, he already requested a koseki and my name was there and we are just waiting for the copy to arrive in Manila, it will arrive maybe this week or next week. I'm planning to apply for a Japanese passport as soon as we have the Koseki.
by Legally adopted (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread