Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Child born overseas to parents with PR 2016/11/3 23:49
My entire family has Japan PR and we currently live outside Japan due to my work and have re entry permit. I want to move back to Japan after a while
About 2 months ago we had our second child born in foreign country, I am not sure if I should inform Japanese embassy about the birth
I was planning to take newborn inside Japan on visitor status as and when we move back to Japan, and change status to depended visa inside Japan
Let me know if you have any suggestions so that I am not missing anything
by Kb (guest)  

Re: Child born overseas to parents with PR 2016/11/4 12:16
Permanent residents cannot "sponsor" dependents, and "child of permanent resident" only applies to children born in Japan. So you will need to talk to immigration, probably your child can get "long-term resident" status.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Child born overseas to parents with PR 2016/11/4 12:31
Firas. Thanks! I got a bit confused with your answer
Can you do me a favor please? Please read link below and tell me if my understanding that Japan Embassy will issue "dependent of permanent resident" visa either through COE process or even without it

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/travel_and_visa/visa/spouse...

Just want to make sure I am reading it right before I call them
by Kb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child born overseas to parents with PR 2016/11/4 12:40
I am not familiar with visa policies of Japanese embassies in the US; you can just ask them directly.

Re: Child born overseas to parents with PR 2016/11/4 12:58
You should contact the Japanese embassy in your country. They will explain to you exactly what you need to do in this case.
As long as your PR is still valid and you have documents that prove it is your real child ;), there is nothing to worry about especially if you could from a country like US. They can't separate families due to visa complexities.
Just call the embassy to have a clear idea about the process of getting your child a dependent of a permanent resident status. No worries!
by Doesn'tmatter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child born overseas to parents with PR 2016/11/4 13:15
Japanese immigration can and does "separate families" as necessary for proper application of immigration law, especially when the family can live together in another country (here, the US).

OP also needs to make up their mind as to whether they will apply for a visa for the child, or enter visa-free and change statuses.

reply to this thread