Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving without proper license 2016/11/4 21:37
Hi,

My IDP expires on December 8th (I actually already made an appointment to convert my license next week). I had no idea that I need to convert my license to Japanese license within 1 year of living in Japan. I was pulled over for not stopping at the train line and only found out then. My 1 year ended in August this year. The police wrote me a ticket for driving without a proper license and told me that I will get a penalty and will hear from the public prosecutor's office.

My question is: Assume I get charged and get convicted, what ramification will there be for my ability to stay in Japan? Will I get a criminal record as a result of this? Will the criminal record affect my visa renewal? I am currently on a dependant visa and need to renew yearly. Will they ban me from entering Japan (even on tourist visa)?

At the time dealing with the police, I didn't know this is so serious as my IDP is still valid.

Thank you for any response.
by Mayo212  

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/5 11:37
This is a good summary
https://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-drive.html

Basically, you cannot use an IDP as a resident - they are only for visitors. However, the line is not well-defined, so it probably depends on the prosecutor.

If they decide the IDP isn't valid because you are a resident, then you have been driving without a licence, which would invalidate your insurance. What they decide to do is up to them. However, if they decide on criminal proceedings, then it could certainly affect visa renewals - and would probably mean a large fine and disqualification from driving.

Probably you'll get a slap on the wrist, and there will be no follow up. However, take this as a lesson.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/5 12:57
There are people who have been detained, deported and banned from entry from Japan for this and lesser issues regarding improper driver's licenses.

I would lawyer up if I were you.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/5 16:12
I'm not sure why the US embassy says the limits are not well defined when the Metropolitan Police Department clearly states that IDPs are only valid for the first year after your entry into Japan:

http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/multilingual/english/traffic_safet...

You'll have to follow up with the proper authorities, but IIRC the penalty is a fine of a few hundred thousand yen and automatic demerit points on your driving record that I believe transfer to your Japanese license once you obtain one. You'll have to check with immigration regarding how this can affect your visa renewal.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/5 22:32
–³–Æ‹–‰^“] 3”NˆÈ‰º‚Ì’¦–ð–”‚Í50–œ‰~ˆÈ‰º‚Ì”±‹à
no driving license : a jail less than 3 years or a penalty less than 500000 yen.

you can't convert your country's license to Japanese one for at least 2 years, because you already violate the traffic law.

"My IDP expires on December 8th. My 1 year ended in August."
you mean : you entered Japan in August 2015 firstly. return to your country to get IDP on Dec.9 2015. and re-enter Japan.
the valid term is counted from your first entry of Japan, i.e. from August 2015.

you should think that you are very lucky that your violation was found before you make any accidents.

be noted that the car owner also may be charged to 3”NˆÈ‰º‚Ì’¦–ð–”‚Í50–œ‰~ˆÈ‰º‚Ì”±‹à.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/6 16:25
Similar thing just happened around my area to a full time foreign resident of Japan (married to a Japanese). The judge let him off easy by not allowing him to drive anything (scooter or car) for the next couple of years.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/6 17:08
Your Suica card is gonna get good use then the next 2 years.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/6 19:48
I heard having these little issues also affect your visa especially when asking for the PR.
Will you be denied your visa renewal?
I don't think so.
Will this affect the length of the visa during the renewal?
I guess 70%yes depending on your job/contributions to Japan.
Will you be banned from entering Japan?
You will not be banned.

Anything depends on your personal history and other details.
by gaijinforever (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/15 10:28
you only thinking about your visa ?. not about your life and your family. dont be selfish.
never try such .. unless you want to gamble with your life and family.
just imagin driving without permit and dangerous accident happen ... you will be all over japanese TV . your case will be a national case . please never try it.
it can be fun. but it can destroy your life forever .
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/15 11:24
they will fine you .no jail .
if you want to get lisence again you need to join japanese driving school.
my friend had such crime before .
it won`t affect your visa.but may affect PR depending on the immigration office incharge of your case. is not much crime base on you dont need much from japanese government .
Eg. naturalization.
but they will place you under probation .if you commit any road crime again or offence . you may go to jail.

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/15 11:29
chike20, can you please calm down? damn people, why do you always have to be so judgmental!!! like japanese people never ever make a mistake when abroad....
OP never said he was doing it for fun or that he decided not to care about the rules. he was misinformed, unfortunately. was it a mistake? yes, it happens, all the time, but I don't see OP trying to evade responsibility. He's concerned and just wants to know how much this mistake is going to cost him, perfectly natural reaction. Instead of bashing, can you offer some useful information or advice? I believe that's the main purpose of this forum.
by Mr. Ethics (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving without proper license 2016/11/15 15:25
well MR ERIC ... my apology to him if i offend him..but here is forum and a learning point for everyone not only him...i was just trying to state the implications . for everyone to learn.

reply to this thread