Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student discounts for exchange students 2016/11/6 07:33

I'm curious to hear about exchanges students and eligibility for student discounts on commuting passes.

I know of universities (e.g. Sophia, Keio, TUFS) which issue student cards that make it possible to get student discounts. But I have also heard that there are universities where the student card that is issued means that the exchange students cannot get discounts.

If anyone has information about unis that do and don't offer student discounts to exchange students, I'd be very glad to hear.

by girltokyo (guest)  

Re: Student discounts for exchange students 2016/11/6 15:36
Just ask your school, goodness, why do you care about others?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Student discounts for exchange students 2016/11/6 16:18
If the school is government-recognized (approved & accredited by the Monbusho), JR and other lines will recognize the student IDs and give discounts on tekiken.

If the school is a private, non-governmentally recognized school, such as a "pet care/grooming" senmongakkou, the students can't get discounted train/subway passes.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student discounts for exchange students 2016/11/6 18:36
"Why do you care about others?"

Nice motto to live by...

I'm actually not an exchange student and I am trying to find out what the common practice is. I'm interested less in judgements about the suitability of the question and more about hearing the policies of different universities. I understand that not all universities give student IDs that allow exchange student gakuwari. I am trying to establish how common this is.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student discounts for exchange students 2016/11/6 18:58
I think Firas meant just ask the school that you'll be going to, why do you care about (the policy at) other (schools)? Thinking you were an exchange student.
by Ausfam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student discounts for exchange students 2016/11/15 22:10
I understood what was meant... but it didn't help my understanding of the situation or how widespread it is that exchange students could get student discounts.

I'm still trying to figure this out, but it seems as though some universities attribute "regular student" status to exchange students whereas other universities have them categorized as "irregular students". A university may need to change its internal classification system to allow ryugakusei to have "regular status". This is something that is likely to have to be approved through committee meetings/ staff meetings. In such a circumstance, unless there is someone pushing the admin to reclassify ryugakusei, it is unlikely that the situation will change.

Re: Student discounts for exchange students 2016/11/25 18:01
you a student and your in japan base on studies ..you can apply for it.
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Student discounts for exchange students 2016/11/29 06:40
The information I am getting is that all exchange students come to Japan with a 科目等履修生 Kamokutōrishūsei status.

This is a kind of "irregular student" and because of this they can't get a student card that entitles them to student discounts (gakuwari ) on the trains.

I want to find information about the process by which some universities are able to classify exchange students as regular students, and examples of universities that do this.

reply to this thread