Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

the best city to live in near Tokyo? 2016/11/18 00:49
Not too much city life, but not too far from it either. Want to live somewhere more quiet and peaceful, but still have the option to go to Tokyo without a stuggle or a hassle.
by hk27 (guest)  

Re: the best city to live in near Tokyo? 2016/11/18 09:42
I recommend Kunitachi :)
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: the best city to live in near Tokyo? 2016/11/18 11:27
The trains from Kunitachi are local rather than the rapid so slightly less common than the ones from Tachikawa. You also have access to the nambu line for access to Kawasaki and then Yokohama. The area by the river is nice (I'm in south Tachikawa and it suits me.)

There are lots of places around. Another one I know is pretty nice is Misato (in Saitama), but look around to find something that suits.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: the best city to live in near Tokyo? 2016/11/18 12:41
thank you for all the replies !
by hk27 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: the best city to live in near Tokyo? 2016/11/18 22:33
The trains from Kunitachi are local rather than the rapid so slightly less common than the ones from Tachikawa.

Except for very early in the morning and the last couple of trains at night when you get local Chuo services, all the trains from Kunitachi station are rapid.

The special/commuter rapids and limited express don't stop there though, but you can usually change to one at Kokubunji. Both Tachikawa and Kunitachi are nice, but very different characters; will depend on your personal preferences.

Getting away from a JR line and on to a private rail line tends to make for quieter cities and cheaper living too. How far out from central Tokyo do you want to be?
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: the best city to live in near Tokyo? 2016/11/20 21:05
lol - the commuter specials are really crowded.

Yes, different areas have different characteristics. Before moving to Tachikawa I looked at several different areas, and over the last six months have explored quite a few other areas around Tokyo (for living options) and all have different features - as you would expect. It will depend on what is important to you.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread