Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/11/26 05:42
After I learnt Japanese to lvl N2 I thinking about study manga&animation but my skills is not enough to apply on university. Can I find in Tokyo 1-2 years (pre-college) art course, for beginners, which:
teach how to draw manga + provide student visa?
by Sacronus (guest)  

Re: Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/11/26 13:52
Any senmon gakko can sponsor your visa if accepted. I'm not an expert in the field so I can't recommend any, but there are plenty in Tokyo that offer all sort of animation and manga related courses.
by koko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/11/27 00:12
"Any senmon gakko can sponsor your visa if accepted."

Ok... but every school have own eligibility requirements and method of selection.
I'm beginner so it maybe difficult for me pass the recruitment process. I such something like a preparatory/pre-college course or art school when you can start from lower level.
by Sacronus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/11/27 02:38
According to website of Yoyogi Animation Gakuin, one of the biggest senmon-gakkos that have comic drawing course:

- To have finished over 10 years of official education in your country.
- To be able to understand Japanese.
- To have a visa. They don't sponsor student visa.
by Ame (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/11/27 07:34
It's interesing however after graduation Language School I haven't any visa :(

So my only option is left Japan, study drawing in home country and back when improve my skills?

What should I do if I want stay and study manga/animation in Tokyo?

Re: Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/11/27 10:03
So, first thing to say; there is almost certainly no job waiting at the end of a program in animation. Without a degree, you would struggle to maintain a work visa, and the pay and conditions are unbelievably bad.

Here is someone who has done it, and their opinion.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/artist-rights/japans-animation-industry-isn...

If you love anime, but you want to hate anime, getting a job in anime is a great way to fulfill that dream.

Anyway, the next step is obvious - if your Japanese is good enough, you search for an animation school which WILL sponsor a visa.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/11/27 11:26
Japan wants only "useful" foreigners to stay and it's quite reasonable. If you can stay as long as you want only because you finished a language school Japanese society will be in chaos.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/11/28 01:56
Japanese animators have hard life...

When I finished a language course I probably go to home training art skills.
My motivation to learn Japanese are incredible "How to draw" books and tutorials:

https://yande.re/pool/show/2192
https://yande.re/pool/show/2260

Later I try to find employment as:

- Storyboard artist
- Animator
- Concept artist
- Manga artist
- or Illustrator

I know that the western video game/movie industry are more profitable but I love
m&a and want create in this amazing style.

Thx for your reply. It was very usefull :)

Re: Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/11/28 13:35
Honestly, I don't think there's such a thing as a "manga university". I would say that most manga creators learned the style by themselves. They are artists, first of all, which means their sensory skills such as observation and spatial visualization are more developed than other people. This allows them to represent on paper with better accuracy what they see in their surroundings or what they visualize in their minds. Which also means they can observe and understand how a certain drawing style is achieved, emulate it and learn it.

Manga schools teach more technicalities such as how to arrange panels, how to organize a scene and convey meaning, and maybe brush up on a few drawing techniques. But it is assumed that you have already developed your own artistic skills and learned the "manga" style through your own observation and emulation.

So I would ask you then: what are your skills as an artist? If you still don't have the basic skills of any artist, then go to art school first, not to a "manga university". Work on developing your sensory skills, then learn the manga style by observation and emulation. You could do this in your home country. Then later enroll in a senmon gakko to apply your artistic knowledge in the world of manga creation.
by koko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/12/23 10:43
I believe you're making it more complicated on yourself than need be. You don't need any special skills or abilities to enroll in an art school in Japan.

Search online for Japanese art colleges, find one you like, tell them that you'd like to apply and tell them that you will need a student visa to attend. If it is an institute that cares about their students, they will get a Certificate of Eligibility for residence for you. Take that certificate to your nearest Japanese embassy or consulate and use it to apply for a student visa.

I believe that's what you were asking, and not about the employment opportunities for manga/anime artist after graduation.

Everyone starts somewhere when it comes to art, or any skill for that matter. I doubt that colleges will reject you just because you are a beginner.
by Happytimesdoggy rate this post as useful

Re: Manga course for beginners + student visa? 2016/12/23 17:52
Actually it's common to prepare at a cram school specialized for entrance exams to art college for years.
They can definitely refuse applicants because of shortage of skills.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread