Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to prepare for japanese university? 2016/12/7 19:12
I'm currently a 9 grader at my junior high school and I really want to enroll to a university in Japan after I graduate from high school. I've studied Japanese since year seven, however my current Japanese level is quite basic, and I'm currently preparing for JLPT N5, which I will take in July 2017.

I know that for most universities, you'll need to be at least at N2 level, and I want to know whether I will have enough time to get an N2 by the time I graduate from high school. I don't mind, however if I have to take a 6 months or 1 year program of language school in Japan before going to college.

I also would like to know about what kind of preparations that I would need to make other than taking JLPT, IELTS and EJU, and it would be very helpful if someone could give me a link or informations about getting a scholarship in Japan and informations about universities in Japan that are good for foreign students.
by hm2412  

Re: How to prepare for japanese university? 2016/12/8 17:54
I think what you really need to consider is: why a Japanese university instead of one in your home country? The Japanese often consider university to be a "fun time" after the rigours of the final years of high school, and the programs aren't very strict. And why learn about something in a different language, where you might miss out on learning the job vocabulary in English, or not be able to use the degree back home (e.g. something like a medical degree)?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to prepare for japanese university? 2016/12/9 17:32
Well, my country is not exactly the best at education or technology, so I want to go to a university abroad and then live there, if possible.
I choose Japan because, I have been interested in Japan for quite a long time. I loves their culture and language, and I want to learn more about it. And I think that the best way to learn is by experiencing it by myself.
I understand that the university programs in Japan aren't very strict, but I don't think that it'll be a problem for me. And the majors that I'm interested in is stuff like international studies/relations, or international business. So I don't think that I won't be able to use my degree back home, if I even going to go back to my home country.
I understand, however that entering a Japanese university is indeed very difficult, but I'm ready to accept the risks and consequences, and I'm not going to give up on my dream.
by hm2412 rate this post as useful

Re: How to prepare for japanese university? 2016/12/9 18:57
What is the point of paying and studying for a degree you won't use? That's a waste of time and money.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to prepare for japanese university? 2016/12/9 21:39
hm2412,

Have you consulted with your teachers, your Japanese Embassy or your Board of Education? I think those are places you can refer to to obtain information.

Once you've narrowed down to several universities you'd like to challenge for, it would be easier to found out what to do to be accepted. You can also inquire directly to universities.

You're in 9th grade, and your possibilities are limitless!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to prepare for japanese university? 2016/12/10 11:55
Probably simpler to study a degree taught in English. You can learn Japanese at the same time (without the need for separate language school), and by the time you graduate, you have a N2 or N1 level Japanese.

http://www.uni.international.mext.go.jp/
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: How to prepare for japanese university? 2016/12/12 12:53
Uco,

I've consulted with my Japanese teacher, however she doesn't exactly gives me a lot of informations, and she said that for now, the only thing that I need to do is to improve my Japanese and English.
I haven't contacts Japanese embassy yet, but I'm planning to do that soon.

I do have some universities that I want to enter. I'm thinking about maybe entering ‌Keio University, or Waseda University. TIU is nice too, I think. But I still kinda want to apply to a national university, do you think that it'll be too hard to get accepted into a national university?

Re: How to prepare for japanese university? 2016/12/12 16:47
"however my current Japanese level is quite basic, and I'm currently preparing for JLPT N5[/, which I will take in July 2017."

I hope that you made a mistake here, or you really need to study Japanese a little more than that.

Back on topic, getting in a Japanese university is much easier than it used to be, but I really can not see why anyone would choose to do so at an undergraduate level. If your dream is to live in Japan, learn an IT job while studying Japanese, come 6 months/1 year in a Japanese language school to brush up, and find a job.
by Rapha29 rate this post as useful

Re: How to prepare for japanese university? 2016/12/12 17:21
Rapha29

I really can not see why anyone would choose to do so at an undergraduate level

I work at a national university. Final year in my (English) program are currently applying for graduate school. Places like Harvard, MIT, Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, Berkeley, UCLA, NUS. One just completed her Master degree at U Michigan. She's currently applying for a PhD in the same department, and is likely to be accepted. So, graduate quality is clearly not an issue.

They pay a fraction of what they would in a US university, and get an education which is vastly superior in many ways. Inferior in others, but that only tells you that there is no such thing as a perfect program.

Does that answer your question?
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: How to prepare for japanese university? 2016/12/18 22:29
Dainichi Heater,
I think that getting a degree in English is an excellent idea, the problem would be the fact that there aren't much universities, especially national university that offers program in English. I hope that there'll be more universities that offers English program in the future, though...

reply to this thread