Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Places to live in Kanagawa-ken 2016/12/7 23:06
Hello!

I'm moving with my family to Japan and appreciate suggestions of nice places for living in Kanagawa-ken or nearby.
Children will study in Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama, and ILll work at Akashi-cho, Chou-ku, Tokyo.

Many thanks for your advices.

All the best!
by GotoJapan  

Re: Places to live in Kanagawa-ken 2016/12/8 12:03
Welcome to Kanagawa.

If your children are going to attend ordinary public schools, you need to live in that very specific school district. Even if your children go to private schools, it would be ideal to let them walk to school.

So if you have your mind set in sending your children to schools in Tsurumi-ku, you need to live in that area.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Places to live in Kanagawa-ken 2016/12/8 12:31
In Yokohama City, there are many Brazilians in Tsurumi-ku, so you may find it convenient to live in Tsurumi-ku.
It seems that there are many Kawasaki-ku in Kawasaki City.
Personally, neither of them has much image of security.
But it is not so bad as it is in Japan.
Tsurumi-ku is recommended for west exit where there is sojiji temple.
Kawasaki makes it easier to sort garbage and rents may be cheaper.
In Kawasaki-ku, I recommend West exit of Kawasaki Station with Lazona Kawasaki.
Also, because the JR Tokaido line stops, it is convenient to go to Tokyo.
However, the rush time is very crowded.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Places to live in Kanagawa-ken 2016/12/8 18:27
Many thanks to both. Really appreciated your advices.
Could give more details about how is the security in Tsurumi-ku? Any zones more safety than others?

Thank you!
by GotoJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Places to live in Kanagawa-ken 2016/12/8 18:34
I live practically next door to Tsurumi-ku and attend a hobby club in Kawasaki-ku, and I don't think that either Tsurumi-ku or Kawasaki-ku are not unsafe as a whole. People just seem to have a bad impression from the older times, which is not really that accurate at all.

Wherever you chose to live with children, it's wiser to live in quiet places where a lot of houses are, as opposed to the commercial district near the big stations or the factory district.

But again, you have only a few choices if you've already made up your mind about your children's schools.

Re: Places to live in Kanagawa-ken 2016/12/9 07:48
I have always found Tsurumi very safe - and I feel safer there than Kawasaki (but that is just a personal impression).

by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Places to live in Kanagawa-ken 2016/12/9 19:53
I just realized a typo in my previous post. I meant to write that both Tsurumi-ku and Kawasaki-ku are quite safe enough, at least in my point of view. I know ordinary families who live safely there.

Re: Places to live in Kanagawa-ken 2016/12/9 20:17
The two places are places that are said to be bad public security in Kanagawa Prefecture.
Especially the sea side was said to be bad security.
However, I've been there both times, but there was nothing wrong with it.
There are many people who live there as well.
I also have a supermarket and I think it is a convenient area.
The reputation around Kawasaki station is bad.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Places to live in Kanagawa-ken 2016/12/10 07:52
As an observation, Kanagawa is quite a big place. I have spent several weeks staying in different parts (including Yokohama) and during summer had a few weeks living in Tsurumi. That is in addition to visiting a lot of different areas around the prefecture.

Similar to other places/cities, the neighbourhood makes a difference. There are places I would prefer not to live in Tsurumi as well, but a block away it is fine. That is something I find when exploring other areas around Tokyo too. It possibly depends what you are looking for and your own situation.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Places to live in Kanagawa-ken 2016/12/11 02:45
Dear colleagues, again many thanks for your advices. I feel more confident to look for housing.

Have a great day!

by GotoJapan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread