Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Summer Math Program in Japan 2016/12/17 05:34
Hi,

I am a NYC public school math teacher looking to travel to Japan to observe how math is taught on the other side of the world to better my practice. Unfortunately our schedules are the same and I will not be able to make it out to Japan until July, where school is already out.

Does anyone know of any high school summer math programs, or secondary schools that I could contact to visit and observe?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks for your time!
by Mr Whittaker  

Re: Summer Math Program in Japan 2016/12/17 12:35
Check the calendars. Most Japanese schools break for summer starting in late July, and for the entire month of August. Many Japanese American kids (my nieces and nephews included) are able to experience schools in Japan for about one month every year in June/July, because most American schools break for summer one month or more earlier.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Summer Math Program in Japan 2016/12/17 23:33
I think it's a little bit difficult to accept private visit of an individual even if you are a teacher in your country. If your school has a sister school in Japan you should contact them through your school.

And note that classes taken during summer are oftenly not "normal" classes. They tend to be only for entrance exam or for those who got bad grades.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Summer Math Program in Japan 2016/12/18 04:24
Thank you so much!

I am actually most interested on developing our struggling students' test taking skills-so that is exactly what i'm looking for. I've been looking into meditation to reduce stress and improve access to brain power. I'm considering tying in a mediation retreat in between visits to schools.

Any suggestions on schools to contact?

Thanks again
by Mr Whittaker rate this post as useful

reply to this thread