Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to pay credit card bill in japan 2016/12/25 12:32
hello,
I have a SMBC credit card. I need to pay the bill. I have not received any bills vis post, but I can check the payment amount online. Can anyone help me with how should I make a payment.
Thanks.
by shee (guest)  

Re: how to pay credit card bill in japan 2016/12/25 20:26
Assuming you signed up for the credit card in Japan, and since it is with a bank (not just a retailer's store card, I assume), you must have registered a bank account with it; they simply deduct the amount due from your bank balance.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to pay credit card bill in japan 2016/12/25 22:07
be careful.
if the card company serves you a free maintenance fee with a trade of revolving payment and you use the card more than the limit of payment in each month, they will charge you a HUGE interest for the unpaid amount.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to pay credit card bill in japan 2016/12/25 23:54
Check the credit card bank web site. Usually, you can find the way to pay online through the web site. You will need to know your bank account number from which you want to withdraw from (e.g., your checking account). Your bank routing number and account number are printed at the bottom of your check (for US banks).
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to pay credit card bill in japan 2016/12/27 12:40
Most Japanese credit cards work differently than the standard US ones. Japanese cards are linked to a bank account (you provided the information when you signed up), and the FULL amount of the money due each month is removed from your bank account UNLESS you specified at the store how many payments you want to make. (The stores will ask something like "ikkatsu barai ha daijoubu desu ka?" [Is a one-time payment ok?] or similar, or you'll sign up for an x-month payment plan for big purchases when you actually buy which will clearly state how many months it will take to pay off). You don't pay as much or as little as you like, unlike with US credit cards.

If you don't have the full amount of money in your bank account, then the credit card company will contact you directly with a bill. That happened to me with my first card here since I didn't fully understand the system, and for that first time I simply put the necessary amount into the bank account by the date specified, and they took the money out about a week later. I was not penalized by the card company for the late payment.

So basically, you shouldn't have to do anything other than make sure the full amount of the payment is in your bank account.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: how to pay credit card bill in japan 2016/12/27 13:22
Thank you so much all for the response. They deducted the full amount from my bank account.
by shee (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread