Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

National Health Insurance required? 2017/1/7 23:50
Hello. I have a question concerning the notification of moving in at a Japanese town hall.

Next month I will move to Japan, working for a large company where an employee's health insurance and pension will be offered as well. After moving in it is required to make your notification of moving in at the town hall. For this a National Health Insurance Card and Pension Card is required.

However, on the first day of employment I will sign into the company insurance system and pension. This makes signing into the national health insurance system not required for me anymore. Therefore, may company insurance cards also be accepted when making this notification of moving in? And in that case, is it perhaps possible for me to wait until March with making my moving in notification after I have signed into the company's insurance system?

I would really appreciate your help!

I am looking forward to hearing from you,

Liz
by Liz (guest)  

Re: National Health Insurance required? 2017/1/8 12:05
if you come to Japan on Feb. 1st and the company hires you on Feb. 10th, you have no heath insurance between from Feb. 1st and 9th. if you worry about that point, you can join national health insurance.
generally speaking, company's insurance is effective on the hired date (Feb.10th). thus, if you make paperwork on Feb. 15th to join the company's insurance (for example), it should be effective from Feb.10th. (ask the company in detail.)
you are requested to report your address to the city office within 14 days after you fix the address by immigration. if you are sure that you will join the company's insurance, you don't need to make paperwork for joining national health insurance.
each person is requested to join either of health insurances. if you join national health insurance on Feb.1st and you join the company's health insurance on Feb.10th, your previous national insurance will be cancelled on Feb.10th automatically ( no additional paperwork at the city office by you.)

health insurance payment is monthly. (if you join it on Feb.10th, you have to pay the full monthly amount.) you can only join ONE insurance system at the same time. in the above example (joining national health insurance on Feb.1st and the company's insurance on Feb.10th), you will pay only the company's insurance (no payment for national health insurance.) if you pay national insurance accidentally, they will give you money back. (although no payment to national health insurance, you will be covered from Feb.1 to Feb.9 by national health insurance.)

the pension system also works similarly.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National Health Insurance required? 2017/1/8 19:42
Thank you very much for your reply!
So that means that if I want to make a notification of moving in on February the 17th, I can temporarily apply for the national health insurance and show that card to the city hall office. Then, when I join the employee's health insurance on March 1st, I will automatically be signed out of the national health insurance.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National Health Insurance required? 2017/1/8 22:19
For this a National Health Insurance Card and Pension Card is required.

Says who?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: National Health Insurance required? 2017/1/8 22:23
According to the website of the town hall:

「届出に必要なもの
国民健康保険証
国民年金手帳」

It says that a National Health Insurance Card and Pension Booklet is required.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National Health Insurance required? 2017/1/8 22:44
You just showed a very small extract, which may or may not be relevant.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread