Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

Travelling alone in Japan... 2005/3/30 01:03
I am visiting Japan this summer, I want to see Tokyo, and if possible also going a few days to Nagoya for the world Expo...

Problem is I will be going alone (friends find it too expensive)

I have heard Japan can be a very lonely place on your own.

Does someone has some advice for me?
by Joeri  

. 2005/3/30 16:19
I don't know where you heard that, but theres literally a bazillion things to do and see that travelling alone can be a very rewarding experience.
by george rate this post as useful

I recommend 2005/3/31 00:12
you dont need to visit Nagoya

Its a waste of money and time

You should go to temples or castles

Thats more impressive
by Rio rate this post as useful

. 2005/3/31 02:47
I disagree if you are going to be in Nagoya, might as well give expo a try, remember its not going to be there forever!
by george rate this post as useful

Going Solo 2005/3/31 06:03
I will be going solo myself in late May early June. I plan to spend a few days at the Expo and take in whatever else I can see in the time I am there.

I have travelled alone many times in the past and it can be a bit lonely since you don't have anyone to talk with while seeing the sights. The good side of going alone is that you can do and see what you want without having to meet the expectations of others.

Hopefully I will meet up with someone for a night or two, at the Expo, as I have done in the past.

Maybe post a message on here or othessites and see if you can find someone to meet up with for a couple of days.

You will have fun so don't worry about it too much.
by Jamie rate this post as useful

Single Travel 2005/3/31 09:53
Dont worry, I travel alone every weekend for 4 mths in Tokyo region.
It's great fun, you go where you want to go, eat what you want to eat, stay as long at any place you want.
Generally, Japanese are nice people and would assist you if you approach them for help.
Compared to some European/American cities, Japan is a liberating place for a single female: transport is efficient, and the crime rate low.
And Venus Fort at Odaiba has so many kawaii !! shops selling kawaii!! things :)
Enjoy yourself!!
by Annette rate this post as useful

Joeri 2005/3/31 09:55
Autumn is a better season. In summer, there is the ”~‰J
which is the rainy season, not fun when it is hot and humid.
Autumn has red leaves, spring is good with the cherry blossoms and other flowers.

where are u from 2005/3/31 15:01
jamie, where are u from? i will be travelling to japan in late may alone too.
by joanne rate this post as useful

interest 2005/3/31 15:20
Tokyo is a great city to visit. But I don't recomend to spend a lot of time unless you are interested in night play. For me, I really like to visit histrical places. There are a lot of those in japan, such as Kyoto, Nara, Fukushima, also Nagano. I would't visit Nagoya.
by japanese guy rate this post as useful

I am from 2005/3/31 15:38
Hello Joanne,

I am from Michigan and am heading to Japan at the beginning of Memorial Day weekend.
by Jamie rate this post as useful

tnx everybody 2005/3/31 16:57
Thank you everybody for the helpfull answers.
To answer some questions:
- I am from Belgium
- I want to visit Kyoto and Nara
- I am planning to stay in Tokyo for about 3 days (should this be enough to visit some good things?)

I am currently planning to go at the end of july, beginning august
by Joeri rate this post as useful

... 2005/4/1 02:45
I have heard Japan can be a very lonely place on your own.
I don't think it will be more lonely then in any other place. I am
going alone without knowing language to Japan in a week and don't
feel that could be any big problems.
by Vilmis rate this post as useful

Joeri 2005/4/1 09:34
Hey Joeri,

I'm planning to go to Kyoto/Nara/Osaka/Kobe/Himeji and mabbe Nagoya (for the EXPO) too. Right now, I'm drawing up my itinery and accomodation plans. Hopefully I 'm done in time for the EXPO.

May 27-June 10 2005/4/3 15:47
Hello Jamie.

I'll will be travleing to Japan in May too. ^_^

Do you know if the Expo is going to be busy around that time or will the crowd be low?
by Daniel rate this post as useful

... 2005/4/3 17:53
Generally speaking, May 27-June 10 is low season in terms of domestic travel activity. But you should still expect quite a few visitors andheavy lineups at the expo.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Travelling partner... 2005/4/13 19:37
Hey..

I'm travelling around Japan from the 10th May till 8th June...

If anyone wants to meet up then get in touch with me...

allanc77@hotmail.com

Thanks...
by Allan rate this post as useful

You'll be fine!! 2005/4/20 00:29
I have traveled in Japan and in Asia by myself many times, and one of the places I felt the less lonely was in Japan. There's always something out there that gets your curiousity going, so you don't even have time to think "Geez, I'm alone and bored". People are really nice and I am sure you will find loads of people in your situation within hours. Don't worry about it until you get there - but I promise you, you'll be fine! If I may suggest something, don't know if you planned to stay in hotels or hostels, but guesthouses are a great place to meet tourists - hotels do get quite lonely at night! Happy travels :)
by Sophie rate this post as useful

Travelling solo 2005/4/20 03:08
Hi Joeri (and everyone else!),
I just came back from 2 weeks in Japan and I travelled alone from Kyoto-Tokyo-Nikko-Hakone-Hiroshima-Miyajima-Oita-Beppu-Kyoto. I only remembered that I was alone only at the end of my trip when I realized I wanted to share my experience with my friends/family. Otherwise, there were so many interesting residents & tourists that I chatted up with while I was there that I was never 'lonely'. I am female and 37 yrs old, and as long as you don't mind talking to people like I do, you'll meet friends everywhere (even if you don't speak the language!). I am planning to do it all over again next year so I say go and find out exactly how much fun you'll be having!
by Grace rate this post as useful

May 22-June 3 2005/4/20 06:06
I'll be in Japan from May 22 through June 3 if anyone wants to meet up one night. I'll be traveling with my best friend. We're both 25 year old males from Boston, MA.

My tentative itinerary is as follows:

May 22-May 24 = Tokyo
May 25-May 26 = Hakkone
May 27 = Nikko or Tokyo
May 28 = 1/2 Tokyo, 1/2 Kyotto
May 29-31 = Kyotto
June 1-3 = Tokyo/surrounding area
by LP rate this post as useful

17-27th May 2005/4/20 07:40
I be in Japan from 17th to 27th May. Traveling Cross Kansai, Nagoya & Tokyo. If you wanna talk about meeting up, email me on cwwlee@hotmail.com or post here and I reply to ya.

Will
by cwwlee rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

reply to this thread