Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Naturalization Requirements? 2017/1/21 17:33
I am deeply interested in getting Japanese nationality.
Does any one know the required Japanese level to have it?
Also, do I have to a pass a written exam? what questions they usually ask? How about the progress?
I would truly appreciate it if you give us any details on how it goes if you already experienced or know friends who went through Japanese naturalization?
by kika (guest)  

Re: Japanese Naturalization Requirements? 2017/1/21 18:03
Hi!
A great website with a lot of informations about that:

http://www.turning-japanese.info/2010/07/three-types-of-naturalization...
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Naturalization Requirements? 2017/1/21 18:41
Oh my god! @Gaby, you have no idea how helpful the link you shared with me. I was waiting for the PR result. But, now, I changing the direction. As far as I can see, I am clearly eligible to apply/get the Japanese citizenship.

Man! I cannot thank you enough.

Where should I go to ask for the documents of the Japanese citizenship? is it the city hall? or the ministry of justice?

I hope someone answers me.
by kika (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Naturalization Requirements? 2017/1/22 13:43
Ministry of Justice, specifically your nearest Regional Affairs Bureau:

http://www.moj.go.jp/MINJI/minji10.html

But yeah, they generally just ask about the details of your life in Japan and your family (for the sake of making your family registry). You'll have to write an essay with your reasons for applying (on your own time), but basically if you can converse with your case worker without any problem they'll consider your Japanese to be good enough.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Naturalization Requirements? 2017/1/22 23:50
Just to give you an idea:

-I passed JLPT N2
-For two years, I have been communicating with my Japanese family/wife in Japanese only (I make mistakes sometime)
-I can also translate from Japanese to English.

Here is my fear:

-I believe I can read around/over 1000 Kanji character
-I can write (handwriting) about 300~500 Kanji.
-I am not confident in my Japanese skill when someone talks to me about new things.

Is there any written test?Do I have to write an essay in the ministry of justice or at home?

Re: Japanese Naturalization Requirements? 2017/1/25 21:05
It sounds to me like your Japanese is more than sufficient. Perfect Japanese is not expected or demanded.

You'll have to write a longer essay (about one hand-written page) about your personal history and reasons for applying for citizenship. This is done at home, at your own pace.

You may also have to write a shorter version (about one paragraph) in the office at some point (it seems some people do this towards the beginning of the process while others do this later, I'm a little less clear on when this is usually done). So just have an idea of like 3 sentences you might want to put down.

But there shouldn't be any test. They'll want you to submit a copy of your N2 certificate, but it really sounds like they won't have any issue with your Japanese ability level.

Also I suggest you bring your wife along with you at least the first time (if possible). It will be good for your case worker to meet her and she'll be able to help you out with the process and understanding everything that is discussed.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Naturalization Requirements? 2017/1/26 19:28
@Harimogura, Thank you so much for the reply.
I really appreciate as I was very worried about that point.
I am planning to start the naturalization process soon.
Thanks also to all people who are actively using this awesome forum. It helps a lot.

reply to this thread