Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese university suggestions please? 2017/1/30 04:41
Hello, I am a senior in high school in the US. I would like to attend university/college in Japan, with courses in English. I'd like to start school in the fall but if necessary I am willing to start in April and find something else to do (work, Japanese language school) in the meantime. I have found several colleges with such English courses but I haven't had time to apply until now, and now most of them have closed their application periods... That's what I get for not managing my time wisely...

I can speak Japanese enough to get by in Japan, and I recently took the JLPT N3 exam but have not yet received my results. I'd like to enter a Japanese studies or education program. I'm not sure what I'd like to do after college, quite honestly, but I was thinking about becoming a Japanese HS teacher when I come back to the US.

I am not the smartest person in the world, and I have a 3.4 HS GPA and scored 1210 and 1190 the two times I took the new SAT. I know I cannot get into schools like Tokyo University or Waseda, so those are out of question. I also prefer schools with small to medium class sizes and student population.

A relative of mine suggested Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University in Beppu. I checked this university out, and was wondering how hard it is to get in. The Wikipedia page says that the acceptance rate as of May 2016 is 100%, but it also says that out of 20,000 applications 3,000 are accepted, so that wasn't very helpful. Does anybody have any experience with this university?

Sorry this ended up quite long and messy. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this.
by utti999  

Re: Japanese university suggestions please? 2017/1/30 20:44
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University(APU) does not have a good reputation which does not contribute to revalue your academic career.
I would choose International Christian University(ICU) or Waseda University.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese university suggestions please? 2017/1/31 13:11
You should check out Keio University's PEARL program (all the classes are in English). Their last application starts from February 28th so you still have plenty of time. https://www.keio.ac.jp/en/admissions/undergraduate/pearl/
by risa108 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese university suggestions please? 2017/2/6 08:26
tokyo friend 48, I appreciate your honesty, thank you!! And risa 108, thank you too! (Sorry, I'm not sure how to "quote" or reply to individual replies on a forum, I'm new here) I will definitely check out Keio's PEARL program. I'm not sure if I have the "smarts" to get into Waseda or Keio but I think I should give Keio a try since there is still time to apply.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please tell me! By the way, I got my score for the JLPT N3 and I received 115/180, so I passed. If I don't get into a school with English courses and decide I want to go to a normal university taught in Japanese, how long do you think it would take to reach N1 or even N2 if I attended a language school?

Thank you!!
by utti999 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese university suggestions please? 2017/2/13 23:16
Sorry for my Eng.
I want to share my some of my experience.
i just graduated master degree, major in humanity and environmental, one of imperial colleges of Japan.

My adviser is very famous and popular, but after I worked with him, I found that he dont understand about research methodology, also he dont have so much time to talk with student.

Many Japanese students in my faculty work hard but not work smart. When we have workshop with other universities from usa, or euro. Japanese student cant do anything much, they dont have any idea.

I think all of foreign students know about this situation if they grauated bachelor degree from theirs country.

I dont know if you study about engineer or technology but I want to say dont come here to study humanity,or smthg that relate to social. we disappoint. I come here to exchange my experience, but when we have group work, no Japanese come!

by moodevil rate this post as useful

reply to this thread