Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

working in physical education? 2017/1/30 22:26
hi i am studying rehabilitation and adaptive sports and I will be finishing my studies by July in this year.
I am desperately trying to find a job in japan as soon as I finish my studies because i want to live there
with my studies I could apply for jobs in teaching physical education in elementary school , hight school or working with elderly and disabled , and maybe even in other related fields, but browsing on the internet has only shown me jobs which require years of experience and I am looking for something aimed for a recently graduate.
I would be very grateful if I could get some help with that matter.
Thank you for your help.
by cha hem  

Re: working in physical education? 2017/1/31 07:37
Almost impossible.

Basically, Japanese schools will only employ Japanese instructors for those types of positions. A number of positions which is rapidly shrinking - 500 schools close every year.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: working in physical education? 2017/1/31 08:34
How is your japanese by the way?
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: working in physical education? 2017/1/31 17:11
Working with the elderly is your best bet I would assume; you would need to be pretty fluent in Japanese though.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: working in physical education? 2017/1/31 21:11
You don't have to be obtain Japanese nationality to teach at Japanese schools. But I hope you are aware that you need to obtain the 教員免許 in order to teach at schools in Japan. As for the elderly and disabled, you can work without qualification certificates, but that is only limited to basic jobs such as laundry and shopping.

http://www.mext.go.jp/a_menu/shotou/kyoin/main13_a2.htm
http://www.careshikaku.com/shoninshakenshu_guide/mushikaku
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: working in physical education? 2017/2/1 07:34
I've known people who teach PE in addition to English at schools with immersion programs (generally where the kids do some non academic lessons like PE, music, art in English once a week), but those positions are quite rare. I do see ads for an eikaiwa/daycare/after school care company called Kids Gymboree that seems to focus on sports and games as well as English.

There is a huge market for elderly care and rehab but you would need to be very fluent in Japanese and probably already over here to get that kind of job since they would only be advertised locally.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: working in physical education? 2017/2/1 19:42
hi ^^ thank you Dainichi Heater , gaby , Jim , Uco , Vita for replying me ^^ ,
Gaby : i start learning japanese , i learn hiragana and katakana and i know some basic phrases
Jim : i love working with elerly ^^
Uco : i have Teacher's license but i like working with elderly and kids more , thank you so much for the link
Vita : thank you for your advices , i'll learn more japanese
by cha hem rate this post as useful

Re: working in physical education? 2017/2/1 21:19
日本の大学か短大を卒業なさったのですね。そうであれば、母校の就職窓口に相談するという手もあると思います。頑張ってくださいね。

Re: working in physical education? 2017/2/1 23:31
hi Uco-sun , my graduation is not from japanese university but i think i will try with the wesite you gime me ,
ありがとうございます ! ^_^

Re: working in physical education? 2017/2/1 23:41
You need to have attended and finished the course at one of the designated universities inside Japan before you obtain a proper licence to teach at elementary/high schools in Japan. This should take at least a few years. But like the other posters wrote, there is indeed a way to teach a few PE classes without that licence, although those jobs are very rare. I wish you luck anyway.

Re: working in physical education? 2017/2/8 21:25
Are you American and big on baseball?

Sports Exchange Advisor (SEA)

https://jetprogramusa.org/sea
by ktb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: working in physical education? 2017/2/18 08:10
hi ^^" , sorry for replying late, actually I'm not American and I've never played baseball ^^, thank you

reply to this thread