Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/1/31 22:09
I would like to ask on what are the limitations of dependent visa holders on engaging part time work.

I have searched the internet and found out that dependent visa holders are allowed to earn up to 1,030,000 yen per year.

My questions are:

1. If there is a yearly limit on how much I can earn, is there a monthly limit?

2. If there is a weekly limit on how many hours I can work, is there a daily limit?

3. Is there a limit on how much I can earn per hour?

4. Are we allowed to work overtime (more than 8 hours) and overtime pay?

Here is my case.

I am working for 28 hours per week. Every Mondays and Tuesdays I work for 10 hours ( 2 hours of which is overtime pay ) , and 8 hours on Wednesdays.

I make 1,300 yen on regular hours and 1,625 on overtime hours. I make 37,700 yen per week. In a month with 4 weeks, I make 150,800 yen.

With this rate I can earn almost 1,030,000 yen ( which is the yearly limit ) in just 6 months and 3 weeks. Yearly limit obtained in just 6 MONTHS.

Is this legal? Is this considered part time work?
by Shugi (guest)  

Re: Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/2/1 15:23
I have searched the internet and found out that dependent visa holders are allowed to earn up to 1,030,000 yen per year.

That is not correct.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/2/1 15:53
You might be mixing up what is allowed for those on "dependent" status (1) by definition of Immigration, and (2) by definition of tax office (if you want to be deduction-eligible dependent family member of you spouse, for his taxation purpose so).

(1) only sets the number of hours.
(2) says that if you want your spouse to be able to eligible for deductible for supporting you as his dependent, and this is the one where their may be a limit by yen amount. If your annual income exceeds a certain amount, your spouse will get no deduction for his dependent from his salary, and you need to pay your own taxes and pay health insurance etc.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/2/1 21:50
I am a dependent visa holder. My father has the working visa. He is the head of the household, and is the only one paying tax in my family.

So, I may earn more than 1,030,000 yen per year?
by Shugi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/2/1 22:00
What happens if I exceed 1,030,000 yen?

Re: Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/2/6 23:17
I don't believe there is a daily limit to how many hours you can work, but I could be wrong.

But as long as you are staying within your hours (and not working in a red-light district :p ) you can make as much as you're able. If you pass that yearly limit then you'll be liable to pay your own pension, get your own health insurance, etc.; you won't be able tag along on your father's anymore. You'll almost certainly be making more money this way, but some people prefer to stay under the limit and not have to bother with the paperwork.

Incidentally, I believe they are going to be raising the limit to something like 1.5 million in the near future.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/2/7 08:41
Last time I asked about this specific question (to my accountant and lawyer), the answer was simply the 28 hours per week.

If you earn more than 1M you have other tax requirements, but AFAIK there is no limit.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/2/7 08:54
People on a dependent visa are NOT allowed to work unless they get a special permit from immigration. Then, they are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/2/7 11:53
Dependent status/visa holder can only work part time if they apply for permission to work from Immigration.
If approved, can only work up to max 28 hrs per week only.

The 1.03 mil yen limit is for spouse joint tax return purpose only. If spouse earn more than that, have to do separate taxation.
It has nothing to do with dependent visa/status.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/2/7 12:29
the answer was already appeared.
you mixed up the two, immigration and income tax regulations.

about immigration
dependent visa (status) holder can work 28 hrs per week.
thus, if you get a job of 2000 yen per hour, annual income is 2000(yen)X28(hr)x4(wk)x12(month)=2688000 yen (rough estimation).
the limitation is working hour, not the amount you earn.

about income tax.
just think about a salary (someone hires you and pays salary to you). your income tax (and residential tax) is calculated from the 2688000 yen (above case).
since you are a dependent visa (status) holder, you might be a dependent in taxation of your father (householder) income. if your salary is less than 1030000 yen, you can be a dependent of your father's income taxation. if your salary exceeds more than 1030000 yen, you are no more a dependent in the father's income taxation. (you are an independent about income taxation, but you are a dependent about immigration.)

the reason of 1030000 yen
if your income is salary, you can get automatic deduction of 650000 yen.(but, you can't file any other expense.)
all workers have basal deduction of 380000 yen.
thus, all salary workers have the deduction of 1030000 yen. (if your salary is less than 1030000 yen, your income for taxation is zero.)
if your taxation is zero, you can be a dependent of the father's income taxation.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent Visa Work Limit 2017/2/7 19:41
I have obtained my permit January of last year. All I could remember, I was told that I can only work for 28 hours per week and I should be careful not to exceed that limit. Nothing was told about the amount of income I can earn.

I guess there's no limitation then.

Thanks guys.

reply to this thread