Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Child of a japanese born in foreign country 2017/2/1 01:55
Hello. I am a japanese citizen and a single parent of two residing in Philippines for a long time. My father is a Japanese and my mother is a filipina but I don't have a birth record here so I am not a dual citizen. I gave birth to my 1st son when I was 15 here in the Philippines, he is acknowledged by his filipino father though we did not get married. I was young and clueless about such laws and rules I did not know that my child's birth must be reported at the Japan Embassy in Manila within 90days. I failed to do it therefore my child lost Japanese nationality. He is now 7yrs old.

My 2nd child currently 6months old baby, I have reported his birth to the Embassy within the given days so he is now included in my Koseki Tohon and is now a japanese passport holder.

Because of negligence of my mother and financial crisis since I was child, I have been overstaying here in the Philippines for 15yrs now and been because I do not have any right to study nor work here. I don't know how we even get to live all these years. I've been to the Japanese Embassy and asked for help and we were supposed to be repatriated back to Japan by indigency. But the problem is I discovered when I attempted to get a philippine passport for my first child so that he can be issued a visa, he turned out to be not having any of the nationalities. The Department of Foreign Affairs told me that an illegitimate child must get nationality from only his mother even he is acknowledged by his filipino father. They say my child is not a filipino.. and because I could not report his birth within 90days after birth, he is not a Japanese also.

He can not be given any travel documents that is why it is impossible for us 3 to go back to Japan together...

I have been searching for ways, I talked to my relatives in Japan to ask for any help.. they have been to Shiyakusho, Ministry of Foreign Affairs but they could not help us. I even asked them if I go back first in Japan leaving my 1st son here in the Philippines, can I register him in my Koseki Tohon so he can be issued a Japanese Passport, they said I can't so I should not leave my child here or we will be separates forever.. I don't know what to do anymore. I am so depressed, I don't know how to raise my children if we are here. Their irresponsible father never gave a child support. I love my kids, I don't want to leave any of them. My heart is broken into pieces that I nearly give up..

Please tell me if you can give me some advices I will appreciate it very much.
by Arisa (guest)  

Re: Child of a japanese born in foreign country 2017/2/1 10:28
Your case seems to be very complex, I think you are better off consulting a lawyer than an online forum. Best of luck to you and your children!
by krr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child of a japanese born in foreign country 2017/2/1 12:25
because I could not report his birth within 90days after birth, he is not a Japanese also.

That rule is only if the child has another (not Japanese) citizenship. If you can show that your child is not Filipino, you should be able to get a Japanese passport for him.

As already mentioned, you should consult a lawyer if you can't handle it on your own.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child of a japanese born in foreign country 2017/2/2 10:36
Even if you have a certification of birth in the Philippines showing that you gave birth to the child and the child is still of dependent age, they still wouldn't consider adding him to the Koseki? How about if you have your relative in Japan adopt him legally? I don't mean to give away your child, but at least have legal guardianship by a Japanese and add him into the Koseki as an adopted child, would they allow that? You could still move with your second child and live with your first child.
by K box rate this post as useful

Re: Child of a japanese born in foreign country 2017/2/3 18:04
I've been to Japanese Embassy in Manila and they told me that this is really a rare case. They can't issue my son a passport because he is not included in my Koseki Tohon and if his report of birth has not done within 90days after birth then it should be done at the Legal Bureau in Japan. However, it is usually done with the appearance of the child. Usually, the child would travel to Japan with foreign passport and visa then register to Koseki Tohon. But in our case he can't be given any travel documents. Same with the adoption. :(
by Arisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child of a japanese born in foreign country 2017/2/4 15:52
Why do you ignore 2 advices that you should consult with a lawyer, if it's so important for you to go to Japan?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child of a japanese born in foreign country 2017/2/4 21:05
here is the same situation.
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1461373274

in Japan, there are some organizations which help no-nationality foreigners living in Japan.
http://www.issj.org/statelessness
you may ask them in Japanese, if possible.

there should be similar ones in Philippine.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child of a japanese born in foreign country 2017/2/7 17:38
Thank you so much for all the advices and the links. I am going to check it out after I submit this reply. I did not mean to ignore other advices, I was actually looking for public attorney who could help us since we are really struggling financially right now, some lawyers we encountered was just after money kept saying they can't do anything for us.
by Arisa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread