Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About packing and sending a koto from Japan 2017/2/5 21:19
Hello,
I've been thinking about getting a koto for quite some time.
I will soon be going to Japan.
I have a friend there who said she found me a koto and I just have to think about packing and the shipping fees.
That's great for me.
But ... How do I pack a koto ? Do I need to purchase a special case for it or is a cardboard box ok ? Is there a cardboard bow big enough for it anyway ?
And do I send it at the post office ? Or do I need to do it with Fedex (for example) ?
I must say I'm a bit lost.
Any advice will be welcome.
by Larhana  

Re: About packing and sending a koto from Japan 2017/2/6 10:49
Cardboard box is not a good idea. How much protection to provide depends on the value of your koto, but at least you should think about hard-box or crate, with padding inside. I would consult the pros (koto shop or shipping company).
by Mei-1 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About packing and sending a koto from Japan 2017/2/9 05:13
@Mei-1

I was afraid of that.
Finding info about that is kinda hard.
But I still have a month or so before my trip, so ... I hope I will find what I need.
Thanks for your reply.
by Larhana rate this post as useful

Re: About packing and sending a koto from Japan 2017/2/9 08:33
It would help if you post the weight and dimensions.

Assuming it's about the size of a full keyboard you could have big problems shipping it, not to mention finding a STRONG cardboard box (ideally double-boxed) to ship it that is also within size-dimension limits.

You might be much better to take it as checked baggage, but give the airline advance notice of 'oversize' item.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/i_parcel_en.html
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About packing and sending a koto from Japan 2017/2/9 23:36
I wonder what you mean by "she found me a koto", because you can find a koto at any town in Japan. Is it some kind of a special koto?

Whatever it is, you should consult with a transport company that has a lot of experienced sending things overseas, or an experienced koto dealer.

Here is a quick Google search result on shipping koto overseas. There also is a koto dealer that accepts purchase from overseas.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: About packing and sending a koto from Japan 2017/2/10 06:19
@(guest)
Thanks for the idea. I hadn't thought about that. I sent an inquiry to the airline.
Hopefully, It will be ok.

@Uco
When I say "she found a koto for me", I mean it as I asked her about the price for koto (not a fancy one or even a new one) as I wanted to go and see if I could buy one and have the shop send it to France.
She asked around and a friend of hers told her she had one and she wanted to give it to me.
So I just had to take care of packing and shipping costs.
But it's easier said than done.
I also have to find a box or a crate appropriate to pack the instrument.
I found a company specialized in moving from to Japan.
So I hope they can give me a quote , but I'm not sure as I only want to send one item.

Re: About packing and sending a koto from Japan 2017/2/10 12:30
Larhana

"I found a company specialized in moving from to Japan. "

Could you post the company name and maybe a link. I'd like to send something overseas, so would be good to have any info on that. Thanks.
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About packing and sending a koto from Japan 2017/2/10 17:06
here it is.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/tsudanuma_botan/archives/45758542.html

ask a local branch of 日本通運, Nihon Tuun. for cost.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About packing and sending a koto from Japan 2017/2/10 22:11
@Anon (guest)
Here it is.

http://www.economovejapan.com/htm/moving_from_japan.html

Please note that I haven't contacted them yet so, I don't know about their price.

Re: About packing and sending a koto from Japan 2017/2/12 00:34
@Anon (guest)
About economove, I contacted them.
To send overseas, they told me you need to have at least a volume of 5 cubic metres.
So back to square one.

reply to this thread