Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation for name 2017/2/7 05:47
I want to get a tattoo of my mother ( geeta) and fathers ( bhoj raj) name in Japanese kanji so if anyone could help it would be great
by LazyGamer  

Re: Translation for name 2017/2/7 18:48
When people ask for "Japanese name" or "translation" for their non-Japanese names, particularly into "kanji" writing, there are two things we can do:

(1) -a. write the name as it sounds phonetically (in katakana writing, normally used to write non-Japanese, non-kanji words and names),
(1) -b. furthermore, for some names, we could find kanji that have similar or same sounds to the original name (thus to the katakana writing) and choose a kanji combination that has pleasant meaning. In this case, the selection of kanji is completely arbitrary and up to the person who chooses the kanji, as there can be many different kanji that have the same sound.

or

(2) take the original "meaning" of your name in your language, and find a Japanese name/word that is closest in "meaning" to your name. In this case, the sound can be completely different from the original name.

If you want to go (1), first we need to know how the names are pronounced. For example, I cannot tell whether the first name you mentioned, "Geeta," is pronounced as "jee" (as in the English word "Jeep") plus "tu" (as in "tupperware") or starts with "g" as in "gate" followed with a long "ee." So you'll need to describe the sounds for us :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread