Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I get a visa with a record realistically 2017/2/7 10:55
Hey all!

Now, I know this topic has been covered, but I wanted to get more specific and, as the title mentioned, get a realistic answer as it could apply to my unique situation.

I will be graduating with my master's in strategic communications next May and have 3 other communication degrees heavy in Japanese language, culture, and intercultural relations. I intend to apply to teach English in Japan once my final degree is completed as a part of the JET program.

I understand Japans policy on granting visas to those with criminal records; no drug or prostitution convictions, no jail terms of over 1 year, and no probation lasting longer than 5 years (or something along those lines).

Now, I don't fall under either of those categories, but I'm not breathing easy yet. I served probation on a misdemeanor charge for the five years it took me i to complete my first 3 degrees.

I know that in the states many employers ask about criminal history often saying that misdemeanors won't immediately disqualify you. It often does for the simple fact that other candidates don't have that background. I don't intend to lie.

How likely am I to be rejected outright? Is it like the states where employers are unlikely to even consider me without extenuating circumstances?

The meat of my question is, while not technically falling under those disqualifies, if my application is likely to be thrown out for having a misdemeanor conviction regardless of the charge?

Please and thanks!
by Flip Flopz (guest)  

Re: Can I get a visa with a record realistically 2017/2/7 11:09
The only ones who can answer the question are the ones who give or reject the visa request.

http://jetprogramme.org/en/faq01/
I have a criminal record. How will this affect my selection?

A criminal record will not necessarily disqualify you. However, the seriousness of the crime will be taken into consideration and a final decision will be made whether or not to offer you a position on the Programme.
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread