Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/8 04:22
I will be traveling with my husband and 1.5 year old son this May. We are going to get a JR rail pass for a week and travel to Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, and possibly a few other places. I'd like to know what places are and aren't stroller-friendly.

In Hiroshima we plan on going to the Genbaku-dome, Peace Memorial Park, and Itsukushima.

In Kyoto we plan on going to Kinkaku-Ji, Kiyomizu-dera, Fushimi-Inari, Arashiyama, Sanjyusangendou.

In Osaka we plan on going to the aquarium, Doutonbori, and possibly Nakanoshima.

Tokyo locations are undecided, but we are also thinking about going to Asakusa and Hakone.

If anyone has advice on these specific locations with a 1.5 year old and whether they are stroller-friendly or not, I would grately appreciate it! Any other advice on this subject would also be welcome.

Thank you in advance!
by sayakokoro  

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/8 09:03
I actually haven't seen many strollers. Most mothers carry their children in those wearable child carriers.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/8 12:03
I also agree above.

In many temples in general, the grounds are almost earthed in which the cemented part are the heaps of stairs without any provision for wheelchair in which stroller can pass through.

In Dotonbori Area, although I have not seen one stroller but the streets are dedicated for pedestrian.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/8 12:21
I've not been to all of the locations on your list. You could maybe, technically, get by with a stroller. However, relatively short trip + four different cities + a fair number of attractions you are wanting to visit suggests to me that your life will be much easier without having to lug such a large and unwieldy piece of equipment around with you.

I would say just don't bother. Echoing the sentiments above: invest in a baby carrier instead. Less of a burden to yourself, and frankly other people too.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/8 13:29
Almost all locations listed are stroller unfriendly. Temples consist of paths of stones and steps up mountains.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/8 16:09
Of the places you mentioned, only the Peace Park/Genbaku Dome area is what I'd call stroller friendly. The rest are either difficult or impossible to navigate with a stroller (gravel paths, lots of stairs, narrow walks, heavy crowds). A baby carrier is definitely recommended instead.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/8 17:03
A friend of mine went to Japan over the holidays. 2 adults, a teen girl, 9yo boy and a 1.5 yo girl with 4 big suitcases and 4 backpacks and a stroller (trying to remember from her facebook live sessions). They went to Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka.

@ Kinkakuji - they just used a baby carrier only (no stroller)
@ Nara - had stroller and baby carrier for the day
@ Arashiyama - had stroller and baby carrier with them, when they went up to Monkey Park they were told to leave stroller somewhere at bottom before hiking up using the carrier. When they returned, it was where they left it as is.
@ Osaka Aquarium - had stroller and carrier
@ Universal Studios - same as above

again, this all from memory via her facebook live sessions.

the days when they had both and used the carrier, the other adult or teen carried the folded up stroller. they had one of those smaller lightweight strollers. so if you, don't bring those bulky ones. also recall baby IN her stroller on the shinkansen. since they had 4 seats, they had it faced one another in a group setting and stroller was in between them. it was a tight fit but she was asleep and didn't intrude any other person except for the family.
by hibell77 rate this post as useful

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/8 21:45
Lived in Japan with 2 kids, younger one was 1.5 years old.
Japan in general is very stroller UNfriendly unfortunately.
Kyoto, like others say, lots of pebbles, uneven streets, stairs d narrow streets. So don't bother bringing stroller to Kyoto sightseeing!
Osaka aquarium, we took strollers and no problem.
I know Strollers are handy for having nap and carrying bits and pieces you need for baby, but get your muscles ready for lifting it time to time. Some stations do not have lift or escalator, and this is 2017.
by Nori sushi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/8 21:59
I also would try to get a stroller on the Hiroshima trams. They tend to be quite packed and carrying a stroller is very difficult.

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/9 02:29
Thank you all for your input! I had a feeling strollers, even umbrella strollers would be difficult. My son is very heavy so I will just start working out now.

So overall, it sounds to me that most places in Japan are stroller UNfriendly, but I would probably be able to use it in Osaka and Nara?
by sayakokoro rate this post as useful

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/9 04:26
I meant "wouldn't" try go get a stroller on a Hiroshima tram.

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/9 05:21
It is true that many places are stroller unfriendly.

However, if you already own a light-weight & easily-collapsable stroller, I would bring it if some of the places you visit are stroller-friendly. I met a couple from Hong Kong with a 1-yr old who did just that. Just be prepared to pick up your baby in a moment's notice and collapse the stroller (a two person job), like when you board the bus. For that reason, perhaps you should not use the stroller as a shopping cart (or luggage carrier), most of the time.

You can always leave the stroller in your room or coin locker when it is not used.
by Mei-1 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Strollers at tourist attractions 2017/2/10 13:32
There are plenty of baby-wearing options for toddlers.http://www.babyslingsandcarriers.com/carriers_for_18_to_36months
I would not recommend travelling with a stroller in Japan. They're annoying in most regards and baby carriers give you so much more freedom. We've even gone hiking with a 3yr old and infant using carriers. Yes, it's tiring but consider the excellent workout.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread