Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

Working visa denied 2017/2/17 15:19
Hello,
after almost 6 months of waiting, my employer got the notice that my visa was denied.
The issue is, the reasons they gave makes no sense. They say I don't have the required degree (I do, they had the original in their hands) OR the required 3 years of experience......... but I do have the degree! (and shouldn't be required experience only by skilled workers' visas?)
Please, my life depends on getting this visa.
Is it possible to do a complaint, or have them double check or change their result?
Anybody with the same experience?
I hope to hear from you.
by Alya (guest)  

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/17 16:11
(sorry, OP here, I should specify that what was denied is the COE for a working visa)
by Alya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/17 16:43
A few possibilities come to mind: the degree was not equivalent to bachelor's; the degree was not relevant to the job (or your expertise was not found to be relevant to the job); or the salary your employers was offering you was not sufficient.
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/17 16:56
Hi, thanks for the answer.
I have a scan of the reasons they gave, and I feel it's a pre-made statement, because as you wrote, they said that I either need a bachelor's in that field OR 3 years of experience.

Both me and my employers are bewildered because
1. I have a bachelor's degree (internationally recognised, I went to uni and all), and graduated also with a decent score
2. said degree is *precisely* in the field we filed for.

in light of this, what are the options?

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/18 07:23
None us on here are immigration officers, so we can't answer your question. I suggest you contact immigration yourself or the company trying to hire you since we don't have an answer. Maybe you need an assistance of an immigration lawyer if your life depends on this job.
by MikeTI rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/18 09:09
I'm asking if anybody had similar experiences or knows of one, and how (or if) it was solved.
@MikeTI I thought the forum was to ask questions?
My employer is looking into it, but in the meantime I'd like to see if by sharing my experience I could have more insight into a possible solution.

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/18 10:03
The fact that you're unwilling to give any substantial information means you probably know your case is weak.

No, they're not going to change their mind, forget it and move on.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/18 10:36
the name of "Bachelor" itself is meaningless.
what they request is that your education is equivalent to 4 years full-time high-level education, which is accredited by the government.
in other words, you are requested to have 16 years official education record from elementary school (for example, 6+3+3+4 in Japan).
if your education meets their request, the university you graduated is not necessary to be "internationally recognized".
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/18 10:37
Sorry @Firas what do you mean?
I get that you always give curt answers in these forums, but if you tell me what kind of information you need, just tell me.
Why would my case be weak? I don't understand.

So are you telling me that they are not going to change their answer based on what? Experience? Hearsay?

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/18 10:41
in light of this, what are the options?

Sovereign decision by a sovereign nation. You cannot file a lawsuit just because you have been denied a visa and immigration lawyers are useless in such cases. At least they gave you an explaination, some countries refuse to explain a visa denial.
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/18 10:43
Hi Ken,

university here is 3+2 (bacherlor + masters) , but our school system is 5 + 3 + 5, so even without my master I do have those 16 years of education.

What I mean with internationally recognised is that not only it's not some sort of shady internet get-your-degree school, but it's actually where most of the italian work force in japan comes from...

And my field of studies was Japanese culture, business and international relations, and we filed for the ‘Û‹Æ–± field.
Most of my foreign friend who only have a bachelor got their visa in that field too, so that-s why I don't understand the rejection.

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/18 10:46
Hi Gaby,

what I was refused is not the visa but the COE.

Anyway, since you say so, would that mean that I will never be granted a visa ever? Even if, in reality, I do have the requirements? Or I just have to keep trying?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/20 09:41
Alya, I'm sorry for all the harsh and rude replies you're getting from some. Unfortunately, this negativity is quite common in these forums.

My understanding is that there is no official appeal process in place, but I remember that no long ago in these same forums, someone solved a similar situation after submitting an appeal letter in japanese, along with all necessary paperwork for a CoE application. Talk to your company about this option.

Second option is to re-apply. You can do it even if the CoE was denied at first. Next time, you might want to work closer with the company/lawyers to double-check all information in the forms is correct. Also, not sure if you checked the below points, but I've known some people being denied CoE's because:

1. They did not submit the original university diploma
2. It was not translated to Japanese by an official authority
3. Submitted only their Master's diploma and it caused confusion to immigration officials about their full education background

The above are some options but definitely need your company's support, so be patient with them and keep them on your side.
by butabara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/20 10:21
Yes the forum is for asking questions, but the people that contribute may not necessarily be able to solve your problem or issue. The Immigration department can deny CoE (without reason) and it also depends on which office you applied with (I have seen reports that some offices routinely deny applications).

My recommendation is that you consult an immigration lawyer - an expert - to make sure that all of the material is filed correctly. If the issue is "your life" then trying to short-cut may result in some technical error. You can, of course, reapply.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/20 10:37
@Butabara Hi,

thank you so much for your answer! It definitely clears up an important issue: my degree was in original, but as you say in point 2, not translated in Japanese. On the forms, you are asked to write in japanese what your field of study was, and we did that (I filled in all the paperwork together with my employers), but not even my japanese employer (one is Japanese and one is european) knew about this fact (I don't think it's written anywhere, but the nyuukan site is rather... unhelpful, even if you know japanese).

So, where should I have it translated? like, the Japanese consulate here in Italy?
While we were waiting for monday to come (the bad news came in on a friday, of course), I also had a transcript in english made by my alma mater that clarifies my field of studies is actually compliant to the requirements, and I suppose that if I have that translated in japanese it should be enough?

Luckily my employers are on my side (for some reason they really like me) and said that they will fight for me.
They'd like to try and avoid going to court because apparently it takes a very long time to even have the issue addressed, but maybe resubmitting after a clerical error like this would make it faster to get? Anyway, it's monday in Japan, I should have more info soon (hopefully).
Thanks again!

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/20 10:43
@Japancustomtours hi,

yes, I know, but while the issue could not be solved because the offices were closed and I was going crazy trying to understand why, I thought that asking here for other similar experience could help shedding light over what has happened.
The issue is that I'm not in Japan currently, and I won't have the possibility to go back unless I have the job lined up. So contacting an immigration lawyer is up to my employers. They said they want to get this through so maybe if there is no other choice they will.

We applied in the Saitama office... Do you think (basing on these info you have) that we should try a different one? If so, which one would be the best? I don't want to inconvenience my bosses too much, but if it's just a matter of taking a train to central Tokyo I think they would be willing to do it...
Thanks for the answer!

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/20 16:36
Well, thanks everybody for their input.

Apparently the willingness of my employer to wait for another COE was not strong enough, and notwithstanding the contract we had, they decided to drop me. Off I go to look for other jobs, this time without high hopes.

Thanks again, and if anybody wants to pitch in with info on COE rejections, please, do so.

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/20 23:53
Hello, I am applying for the same currently.. I have no degree but I do have 5 years experience working within the industry. Given that coe's usually take 1-3 months, why did you have to wait 6 months?

I am really sorry about your denial - I am really concerned about this too.
by Olivia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/21 06:26
@olivia
Good luck! I hope you have a better one than me.
In the last year or so, working visa COEs have been taking much longer than the stated 3 months. A friend of mine has been waiting since last may, and she still had no answer.
It also might depend on nationality, some have much fewer problems in getting a COE, and getting it in due time.

Re: Working visa denied 2017/2/21 22:52
@Alya - what nationality are you? I am British living in the UK and not sure what difference that makes.
by Olivia (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

reply to this thread