Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transgender Will Study in Tokyo Japan 2017/2/20 00:43
Hi! I'm Tanya, 25y/o from Philippines. I will be studying in Japan this coming April 2017 (still waiting for my COE though). I am born male and crossdressed as female for quite a long time now. So my concerns right now are:
is it okay to crossdress in Japan specially in Tokyo?
which public restroom should I use Male/Female? (I always use female restroom here in Philippines)
will I face a lot of discrimination in Tokyo?
do I need to cut my hair (boy cut) in-order to find part-time jobs?

Hope anybody can answer my questions. It will be appreciated.
by itstanyad  

Re: Transgender Will Study in Tokyo Japan 2017/2/20 15:22
is it okay to crossdress in Japan specially in Tokyo?

It's as okay as it is in the Philippines.

which public restroom should I use Male/Female? (I always use female restroom here in Philippines)

Then, go ahead and use Female. You'll always be locking yourself inside anyway. There also are no guards/janitors at the entrance of restrooms.

will I face a lot of discrimination in Tokyo?

I can only say that LGBT awareness is getting bigger and bigger especially in Greater Tokyo, including within schools.

do I need to cut my hair (boy cut) in-order to find part-time jobs?

That depends on the type of job you choose and the gender you express yourself as. If you don't face customers (ie. dish-washing jobs etc.), your hair cut won't be an issue.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Transgender Will Study in Tokyo Japan 2017/2/20 16:16
Uco, thank you for your reply. This helped a lot.
by itstanyad rate this post as useful

Re: Transgender Will Study in Tokyo Japan 2017/2/28 12:35
Dressing in your gender is OK. With bathrooms ypu must be aware that it would be considered a criminal actif you won't take the one of your assignrd sex. So it will depend how well you pass. Also Japanese are not hysterical, so the risk that someone calls guards is very low. Discrimination is existing here, although very subtle. Noone will attack or harass you. But it's very hard at the job. If you make a ponytail and dress neutral feminine it will be OK at most places, except those which require suits and neckties. There are also many jobs at nightclubs that hire trans women.
by Clari (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transgender Will Study in Tokyo Japan 2017/2/28 12:47
There are also many jobs at nightclubs that hire trans women

There is no way she is allowed to work at nightclubs on a student visa, if she get caught, she will be deported, no questions asked.
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transgender Will Study in Tokyo Japan 2017/2/28 18:16
With bathrooms ypu must be aware that it would be considered a criminal actif you won't take the one of your assignrd sex.

This is a bit misleading. It's not a crime for a male to enter a female restroom. It's just that (as it is in every country I've been to) if you're obviously male and you enter a female restroom, people will consider that you are there to pervert which is a crime.

I also agree with Gaby, and just because you're transgender, that doesn't mean you're a nightclub-job person.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread