Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Naturalization and PR application 2017/2/22 11:05
I will apply Japanese citizenship. I collected all the required documents requested by Homukyoku. I hope to submit soon.
I have a question.
Can I apply PR when naruralization application is in process? The citizenship application may take 1 to 1 and half years to give the result. I just heard form my friend that one person got citizenship after 1 and half year after application.
by guest 44 (guest)  

Re: Naturalization and PR application 2017/2/22 14:54
Even if you can apply, I'd imagine it would get automatically denied, and possibly hurt your citizenship application as well since it could indicate that your intentions are not genuine.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and PR application 2017/2/22 23:03
Just few days ago, I asked the same question to myself.

My PR application is still being processed by the immigration office. It is in its fifth month. Also, I realized that I become eligible to apply for Japanese citizenship by now.

If it is guaranteed that my naturalization process would go well, then there is no need to worry about the PR result. However, since I don't know neither PR result nor naturalization result,I decided to play it safe and wait for the PR result first before applying for the citizenship.

I also have the feeling that applying for the Japanese naturalization while having the PR in hand is a great plus. You may ask about the reason why?it is a proof that your marriage is genuine as your PR application is carefully investigated by the immigration officers before being granted.Besides, having the PR and applying for Japanese citizenship shows them that you are profoundly interested in becoming Japanese because having the PR is usually enough for normal foreigners.

Can I apply PR when naturalization application is in process?

I would agree with the reply given by Mr Firas. It does not make a lot sense to me applying for the PR while your naturalization application is being processed. Who cares for the PR when he really wants to become Japanese. If I were in your position,I would choose one of the two options only. Either go for the PR or for the citizenship. Still, I can't tell if applying for naturalization when not having the PR is recommended. For that reason, you may need to ask a lawyer I guess.

The naturalization process may take from 6 months to 2 years. It is case by case as far as I know.

By the way, how do you know that you met the requirement to apply for naturalization?

By the way, there is an awesome community on google plus where they discuss these issues. Here is a link: https://plus.google.com/communities/118186350756496669425

Best wishes,

by kika (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and PR application 2017/2/23 11:30
Thanks Firas And Kika. I got clear idea now.
I asked immigration lawyer, he told that I can try the citizenship first, suppose it is rejected. I can apply for PR also. No problem. Homukyou and immigration are 2 different deparments. Their requirements are separate.
(By the way, how do you know that you met the requirement to apply for naturalization?)
My visa record is Engineer(1+3+3), spouse(3+1+1+3), I have N-2 level Japanese qualification too. I have currently 3 years visa in hand. I have son too. My employment background, tax record is clean, no crime record too. I went to Homukyouku they told OK. I almost collected everything.
Kika can be applied even on 1 years visa if somebody has earning ability and more than 3 years stay as per immigration lawyer site.
I would like to share all knowledge that I know.
by guest 44 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and PR application 2017/2/23 20:42
Guest 44, thank you for information.
If I were in your position, I would go for the naturalization. There is no point applying for the PR.
When I first applied for the PR, I was not aware of the fact that I am eligible for the naturalization.
I am planning to start the naturalization process as soon as I get the result of the PR. So, I would definitely need to know further information about how naturalization work. It would be nice if you could share with us some of your experience with the ministry of justice on the community link I shared in the previous comment.
Warm regards,

by kika (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread