Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are Japanese uni degrees recognised overseas? 2017/3/4 20:08
I'm interested in attending university in Japan (Specifically liberal arts such as Sophia uni's FLA, ICU, Keio GIGA, Akita International uni etc..), but I still don't know whether I would work in Japan or in my home country (Australia) after uni. Would I be at a disadvantage looking for a job in Australia with a Japanese degree?
by Emeraldeyes (guest)  

Re: Are Japanese uni degrees recognised overseas? 2017/3/5 08:36
It depends.

If you plan to go looking for a job in Australia, then Japanese universities don't have the brand recognition in Australia that a good Australian university would have. That may not matter to many employers, but to others it would. On the other hand, the international experience you have may be a benefit in the eyes of some employers: studies show that overseas study is one of the most desirable traits in prospective employees.

Of course, if you plan to go into a more internationally oriented career, overseas study may be hugely beneficial. If more domestic, then it may have a negative effect. Or not.

Hard to say - there are way too many variables, and we have no idea about your background, goals and ambitions, etc.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Are Japanese uni degrees recognised overseas? 2017/3/5 16:37
Japanese universities have no reputation in Australia, but also, Australian universities have no reputation in Japan.

But it is an advantage that if you have a well known Japanese university degree, you may have an opportunity to work and live in Japan, and also if you are back in Australia and want to work at Japanese firms based in Australia. There are number of Japanese firms based in Australia but I don't know any of Australian firms based in Japan for international work.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread