Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How I write my name? 2017/3/7 05:32
Hi! I would like to know how I write my name in Japanese katakana. Is ヴィーヴィ correct, or ビイビ ?(My name is Viivi)
by Viivi (guest)  

Re: How I write my name? 2017/3/7 11:04
ヴィーヴィ is probably the closest katakana for Viivi.
ビイビ is more like BeeBe, but it is easier for Japanese to pronounce.

My sister's name is Vivian, and her Japanese friends call her ビビ as a nickname. ヴィヴィアン is how she writes her name, but that can be difficult for some Japanese to pronounce.
by Nora Neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How I write my name? 2017/3/7 14:22
Both are correct, but if I were you I'd use ヴィ―ヴィ

It's because we don't have the V sound in the Japanese language that ヴ is less common. But the ヴ indication used for this foreign V sound has been going on for decades now. Meanwhile, when people see the letters ビイビ without hearing the sound, they would pronounce it like Biibi. So, again, I would recommend ヴィ―ヴィ because it's closer to the real pronunciation of your beautiful name.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How I write my name? 2017/3/7 14:25
I am a strong advocate for writing your name in the Latin alphabet; after all that's the only form of your name that Japan (i.e., the Japanese government) recognises as correct. I only use katakana when people explicitly ask for it, or want to know how my name is pronounced, which happens less often than you'd think.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread