Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working as an English transcriber in Japan? 2017/3/14 06:20
‚±‚ñ‚É‚¿‚ÍI I have a question about becoming a transcriptionist in Japan. I've worked as a freelance transcriber in California for over 15 years and am thinking of moving permanently to Tokyo. Is it possible for one to make a good living as a transcriber of English in Japan? I've seen several Japanese sites that describe this position (usually with descriptors such as ƒe[ƒv‹N‚±‚µ or •¶Žš‹N‚±‚·), seemingly done by native English speakers within the country who already have a visa...but I'd like to get a sense of how much this would pay, if it would be more lucrative in Japan than here in the West, whether the work would be done in an office, etc. If there's anyone who's had this job in Japan as more than a supplementary gig, I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you!
by Control  

Re: Working as an English transcriber in Japan? 2017/3/14 15:07
That is often done as part of translation job - I listen to speeches on DVD or memory stick, type it up, and do translation into Japanese for clients,virtue other way around. So if you do just English, I wonder how much demand there maybe. Court reporters who attend depositions held at consulates are often hire by theembassy or the consulate. Also those are not really fulltime positions.
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working as an English transcriber in Japan? 2017/3/14 17:46
Is it possible for one to make a good living as a transcriber of English in Japan?

No, not by transcribing alone.

By the way, translators typically translate the English dialog directly into Japanese without transcribing it into English. Transcribing is considered as an easier job than translating which is considered easier than interpreting. It's not true, but it's just considered that way.

If you are already making good money by transcribing alone, I'm sure you're doing projects with big budget. But big-budget English-speakers tend to have their dialog transcribed in their own country. They don't have to send it all the way to Japan to have it transcribed.

Perhaps you should find a way to keep work coming from your current clients while living in Japan. Meanwhile, if you are a native English speaker with professional translation skills, you can make decent money by J to E translating, granted that you have the proper working visa.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Correction 2017/3/14 17:48
I'd like to make a correction, sorry.

Incorrect: granted that you have the proper working visa.
Correct: if you have the proper working visa.

Re: Working as an English transcriber in Japan? 2017/3/14 17:53
Both look correct to me. ;)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Working as an English transcriber in Japan? 2017/3/15 11:38
Thanks Firas. That's really good to know. I had always been wondering if it is, but my dictionary kind of suggested otherwise.

Re: Working as an English transcriber in Japan? 2017/3/15 13:39
I wouldn't advise moving to Japan just for that considering how saturated the market is with English teachers and translators. Considering how lax the standards are, literally anyone who speaks both Japanese and English semi-fluently can apply. You'd have a hard time finding anything more than a part-time job and be lucky to get 30,000 USD a year for a full time position.
by S King rate this post as useful

reply to this thread