Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan 2017/3/19 23:24
I've currently been planning and saving to move and live in Japan.
I need to help and advice on a couple of things.

Where/ how do I organize getting a visa and what type would be best? (A work visa?)
How do I go around changing banks and phones? (I know it's best to carry cash instead of bank cards)
How do I get insurance?
Should I look into getting a Commuter Pass? (And how?)
Where would be a good place to look for english speaking jobs?
Is there any really good Japanese language classes online you would recommend?
When moving; is there a way of having my things flown to Japan with me? How do I organize that?
Will I be able to have most of theses things done outside of Japan... ready for Japan or do I have to do them in Japan?

I'm 19 (nearly 20) years old and from England. I've never been to Japan (or left the country) and I know people would recommend at least visiting before deciding to move; but I don't have the money to be able to vacation and then move. I've been saving and planning for 3 years now. I was originally going to go to college in Japan but have decided to just move and get a job while trying to get the Job I'm working towards. I've already found a few apartments to look at. My family don't really know what I need to do to move countries as no one has lived in another country.

I hope I gave enough information to help you answer. If there's anything else you feel I NEED to know then please enlighten me. I really appreciate the help! It means a lot!

Thanks in advance!
by Leia (guest)  

Re: Moving to Japan 2017/3/20 13:28
Well....the first starting point would be your Visa, so have a look at Embassy of Japan in England and you need to figure it out.
http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visa-cert-top.html

Maybe apply for international school in Japan that may support your visa, or apply for company in England that may transfer you to branch in Japan if you want work visa. Either way, its not that easy.
Or simply apply for Working holiday visa, see if you like the life there and hope your employer will continue supporting you visa.

Commuting pass is the last thing you need to worry!
It made me even laugh!
You can go to train station and get one straight away.

In terms of your luggage.....how much luggage are you thinking??
I moved countries with 2 little children, and we had 7 suitcases between 4 people. Furnitures etc, will be cheaper to get them once you are in Japan.

This might be helpful too
https://gaijinpot.com/ja/
by Norisushi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2017/3/20 16:51
I agree with the previous poster you need a visa first, and a working holiday visa (WHV) will be a good start. It's easy to get, and you don't need a sponsor, and lets you look for work while you are here in Japan. The problem is going to be at your age staying past that WHV as you aren't old enough to have any skills and you don't have a degree. You will either be teaching English, working for yourself, or some kind of service industry work. The other option is going to University here in Japan, but you'd have to pay for it.
When you arrive in Japan you will receive a residence card at the airport. You can then use this residence card to open up a bank account. Some of the banks like UFJ may not be willing to if you have no employment. However, you could always open an account at Japan Post.
With your residence card you will also be able to get a phone, however without a job or proof of income you may find this difficult. KD, AU, Softbank are among some of the Japanese phone providers.
You will be eligible for NHI (National Health insurance), but while the costs are low your first year, you will still have payments you have to make. You sign up for this at your local ward office when you find a flat to live in.
A commuter pass is a a set fee that allows an unlimited number of trips between the two point of the route you select. You can do this outside the station at the machines where you buy tickets. The pass (an IC card) comes with a set amount when you buy it and you can add additional value to it. You insert the IC card select commuter pass (it is in English) and then the route, you then insert the yen into the machine. SUICA and PASIMO are the two main trains in Tokyo. SUICA is with JR trains and PASIMO is with TM (Tokyo Metro) the subway. You must have an IC card for the commuter pass you select. A commuter pass can save you a lot of yen if you make frequent trips along the route, and also provides a lot of convenience.
Good online Japanese lessons, no, not really, they all tend to be about the same.
Well you can take luggage, you will get two 50KG bags at no charge. I think that's plenty considering Japanese flats (the classic 1K) tend to be very small. You aren't going to have a lot of space to unpack things from.
Again, you aren't going to find a lot of English speaking jobs that don't require a degree or experience. An English teaching job will probably be your best start.
You have to do most of it in Japan, as it's going to require a residence card.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread