Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

is 300K enough to furnish an apartment 2017/3/20 14:18
The house is about 60K-65K yen
I would like to know if 300K yen will be more than enough to furnish my room. The things I need
are:

Washing machine
refrigerator
rice cooker
pan
a table and chair
futon

However, some of the things I plan to use secondhand. By the way, which website to buy these secondhand things?
by Black Joker  

Re: is 300K enough to furnish an apartment 2017/3/20 18:15
You can look each of those things up on Amazon (or similar) to have an idea of the price range.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: is 300K enough to furnish an apartment 2017/3/20 18:32
Better than Amazon is Craig's List literally people just give these things away. The other idea is find out which day in your neighborhood (or the better more affluent neighborhoods) big items and electronics trash day is, you would be surprised what Japanese people throw away.
Are you sure your house/apartment doesn't have a refrigerator (I would also check on the washing machine). You will want to buy your futon new, it's about 10,000Y.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: is 300K enough to furnish an apartment 2017/3/20 18:46
Yes. I just rent an apartment for a fee (60K) with the inclusion of electric stove, toilet and bathroom and closet. That's all so I need to buy everything by myself. I'll be living around Kamata that area.
by Black Joker rate this post as useful

Re: is 300K enough to furnish an apartment 2017/3/20 18:51
Odd it doesn't have a refrigerator. Well you should be able to furnish it with those items within 300,000Y assuming you're willing to get some of them second hand. Buying new would probably max the budget.

Re: is 300K enough to furnish an apartment 2017/3/20 19:01
Do you think a person will be able to survive with 200K/ month in Tokyo excluding everything(like tax, insurance, utility, food)

Re: is 300K enough to furnish an apartment 2017/3/20 19:03
Do you think a person will be able to survive with 200K in Tokyo excluding everything(like tax, insurance)?

Re: is 300K enough to furnish an apartment 2017/3/20 19:54
Sure, I know ESL teachers that make that (some even less) you just won't be able to do very much outside of eat, sleep and work. If your flat is 64,000Y you will spend 10,000Y on mobile, about another 15,000Y on utilities (electric and water) depending how much you use the A/C, another 4,000Y-8,000Y on internet. That's about 95,000Y in fixed expenses. Then you have food, I guess it depends how you like to eat. Most refrigerators in Japan are small, you can't stock it up very much and most things tend to go bad even with refrigeration very quickly. On my slow days I will make toast in the little broiler on my stove (it's for fish really) for Breakfast. For lunch I generally make a sandwich or salad. For dinner I make a prepared dinner, that's enough for several days or I eat out with friend before heading out for the night. On my fast (don't have time days). I grab a pasty or roll from the bakery at the station and an iced coffee from the machine. For lunch I have several plates of sushi from a 100Y sushi shop. For dinner I grab some pub food if it's late (happy hour) or if at the right time and I get out early I'll get a set meal (usually entree, side, cafe drink, and dessert). On the days I eat in it's about 500Y/day, on the days I eat out it's 2,000Y/day.

Entertainment is the bottomless hole that sucks your money away. At Izakaya, you can get small drafts for about 280Y. Happy hour and discount evening prices are about 500Y for mixed drinks and a discount of about 25% on drafts. Otherwise regular prices are usually around 900Y-1000Y for Guinness or Stella, and domestics around 700Y. Going to a club like Ferria or Muse in Roppongi is about 2500Y for the cover (with two drink tickets), drinks start at 1000Y and up, and up. There is cheap entertainment as well. There are all kinds of clubs and associations for everything from chess and photography to poetry readings, to sports, etc. Most of these are a free or a modest couple hundred Y for the day (the fee is to pay for the community hall). A lot of college students on budgets will head to the park with some conbini brew cans and just hangout or cluster in groups. You could drink the night away for less than a 1000Y for the night that way.

Re: is 300K enough to furnish an apartment 2017/3/20 21:16
Thanks for your advice. Are you local?

Re: is 300K enough to furnish an apartment 2017/3/21 14:26
I live in Tokyo, and have been in Japan for 9 years.

reply to this thread