Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can Japanese appliance be used in US 2017/3/26 13:33
I've read multiple sources regarding Volts, Hz, Amps and how it works with international equipment and how transformers are needed, etc., etc.... but my question regarding a japanese humidifier I have is whether it can handle the 120V, 15A, 60Hz power here in the US if the CORD is rated differently than the unit... Please read all the way through

The unit has these specifications:
100V
50/60Hz
985W when boiling
410W during regular operation mode
Manual states to only plug it into 15A, 100V outlets

HOWEVER, the cord that plugs into the wall and unit itself has this printed on it:
2 prong plug that plugs into wall: 12A, 125V
magnetic plug that attaches to unit: 12A, 250V

The steam humidifier looks (and functions) exactly like a water boiler (denki pot?). Multiple sources have stated their Japanese boiler operates perfectly fine for years without any trouble although "electricians" have stated that this would wear down the life of the unit due to the 100V vs 120V mismatch...

I'm just wondering if anyone can answer whether or not this unit can modify or withstand electricity if the cord is rated to handle 125-250V? And if that's the reason why multiple sources have been able to use their boiler from Japan here in the US? Also, whether or not this would still degrade the life of the unit faster if used without a transformer to reduce 120V down to 100V?

Thank you in advance!
by AliceLono  

Re: Can Japanese appliance be used in US 2017/3/26 15:37
The markings on your plugs indicate the ratings for the plug. So there's no fire hazard from the plugs, so at least there's that :) That doesn't mean that the unit itself can handle it though, just that the cord is speced higher than the unit (most likely because the component maker wants to market it to manufacturers worldwide.)

The higher voltage will cause more current to flow across the resistive heating element, and both higher voltage and higher current will combine to dissipate quite a bit more power. How your unit will handle the higher power really depends on the design and construction of the unit, and it's impossible to say from the info you've provided (or anything else you can glean short of taking it apart, probably.)

Best case is there is a controller continuously sensing the temperature and modulating the current to the coils. Overall power dissipation won't be any different (the duty cycle will just be lower to compensate for the higher power) and there will be no change in performance (other than the initial heat-up being faster) and no degradation in unit life.

Worst case is there's no sensor feedback loop at all, and switching operating modes is based on a fixed timer. The whole unit will run much hotter than designed for, which will more likely than not still be OK, but could potentially be dangerous (namely a fire hazard) if the power exceeds the safety margins designed into the unit. Unit life may or may not degrade (though if the design were that simple, there's not a whole lot to degrade either.)

All I can definitively say is that the unit is not speced for more than 100V, so there is some risk involved.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Can Japanese appliance be used in US 2017/3/26 17:56
I would contact the manufacturer....
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can Japanese appliance be used in US 2017/3/27 05:18
Manufacturer is simply going to say you can't because it's out of spec.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Can Japanese appliance be used in US 2017/3/27 07:18
That is indeed possible... But maybe not if asked... I am thinking of buying model abc, and want to know if...?
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can Japanese appliance be used in US 2017/3/27 13:54
Simple answer—Ya, it will work but unit probably wonft last very long. Been there done that!
by pete (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can Japanese appliance be used in US 2017/3/27 22:12
It will work but will likely have a shorter life than expected.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread