Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is 170.000 yen salary reasonable? 2017/4/10 21:29
Hi guys, I've just graduated with a bachelor degree and live outside of Japan (third world country). For the past 2 years I've been working remotely for a Japanese startup and since I've graduated they are offering to have me relocated to Japan. I'll be working as Marketing and have been offered a salary of 170.000. Transportation max 20.000 (not sure why they wrote "max". Guess it depends on where I live). Is this considered too low? I was hoping for a higher number since I've been with the company for almost 2 years. I have no idea what the living costs in Japan are, but will it be enough to live comfortably and save money? What is the average salary for fresh graduates? does my 2 years experience with the company mean nothing?
by Adventurebuddy (guest)  

Re: Is 170.000 yen salary reasonable? 2017/4/11 11:40
170000 is low
how about to ask for 250000
I think its reasonable
by Art and Art rate this post as useful

Re: Is 170.000 yen salary reasonable? 2017/4/11 12:35
17man for salary is low.
You need to pay tax and other expenses, you should at least get 22~25 man for living, although it depends, if day arrange housing etc.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Is 170.000 yen salary reasonable? 2017/4/11 16:43
It is not much to start with. You'll likely pay 10-20% tax over that and rents + bills quickly add up to a 100.000 mark.

You could live from it sure but it would not leave a lot of space for doing anything else.

If you really want to be in Japan and work there, then it is not the worst of starts and having a visa will make is easier to find new jobs.

As others have said, 250.000 would be much better. I'd aim at least for 200.000.

The 20.000 for travel is simply a cap for your travel expenses, it is a nice bonus as not every company does this and transport fees can quickly eat up your salary. When you look for an apartment make sure it is accessible with one (rail) company. I used to work in Shibuya and travel to Fujimidai, changing companies everyday basically doubled my fare.

Good luck, I'm sure the prospect is existing!
by Night Dreamer rate this post as useful

Re: Is 170.000 yen salary reasonable? 2017/4/11 17:20
Transportation max 20.000 (not sure why they wrote "max".

This means they will pay for your commuting transportation costs (usually in the form of a commuter pass), but only up to 20,000 yen per month.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Is 170.000 yen salary reasonable? 2017/4/11 17:36
and tax deductive.

the 170000 yen will be 基本給. it seems the offer of 正社員(unlimited employment).
ask the company how much is "expected" annual salary.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 170.000 yen salary reasonable? 2017/4/11 17:37
This is how you calculate your salary to judge if it is too low or not.
http://tokyo-roudoukyoku.jsite.mhlw.go.jp/jirei_toukei/chingin_kanairo...

So if you're working 8 hrs a day, like most people are supposed to, and are going to settle with a small vacation like most freshmen do, then your salary is quite low. You should also make sure if you're going to be properly paid for any overtime work as well as a few days per year for holiday.

About transportation, what is the content of the 20000 yen transportation fee? Is that for 1 month? Or is it for a common 6 months commuter pass?

For example, If you commute to JR Tokyo station from JR Kawasaki Station in a neighboring city like a lot of suburban people do, your commuter pass will only cost you 9,050 yen a month. The same kind of pass is 25,790 yen for 3 months. But if you commute between, let's say Tennouzu Isle station to Shin-Yurigaoka station, which is still between cities Tokyo and Kawasaki, the commuter pass will cost 26,420 yen a month.

Similarly, if your workplace is in a remote area, housing and groceries can be cheaper while commuting may be difficult, and vice versa.

Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is 170.000 yen salary reasonable? 2017/4/11 19:31
It depends on the region.
If the company is located in Tokyo it must be a little bit low.
But all of mega banks, which are famous for high salary, this amount like 170,000-180,000. They add various allowances on the basic salary.
250,000 is too much for a marketing new graduate.
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread