Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cattery name 2017/4/12 22:40
Hi,

We want to start a cattery and would like to give it a special name that has a correct meaning and is also good to pronounce in english.

Since the breed has spotted fur, i started looking for a translation of spots/dots/freckled etc.
I came up with the translation Tenzai “_Ý. (which sounds great as a cattery name in english) But when searching internet with these characters i don't find anything related to spots. Maybe i am using it wrong? Looking forward to your help.

Best regards,

Marcus
by Marcus Braun  

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/13 10:45
"Tenzai" “_Ý contains the kanji “_ for spots, but it has nothing to do with the "spots" pattern.

It means "(something) exist in scattered locations/exist here and there." Like "there are houses here and there at the foot of the mountain," or something like that.

Exactly what kind of "spots" do your cats have?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/13 15:30
Hi AK,

The breed is called Ocicat.
Here is a photo of such a cat: http://static.zoom.nl/1D88DC55A1D1A0654B501E07C496F298-ocicat.jpg

What is important, that the name sounds catchy and good in english but also has a correct meaning in japanese. We liked the sound of Tenzai as a cattery name, but now it seems less likely we will use it because of the meaning.

Point is, when we breed with the cats, the cattery name is always mentioned together with the name of the cat in it's family tree, so we want to take this seriously.

Also we want to write the cat's name Yuuna and the cattery name in beautiful Shodo. Since we are no masters in this art, maybe there is a way to use a shodo font to achieve this?

Thanks again!
by Marcus Braun rate this post as useful

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/13 15:56
Oh wow, that's a beautiful cat! (cat lover here by the way...)

This kind of "spots" is not called just "dots" ("ten" in the word earlier), but we would refer to this as "leopard" ("hyou" or "reopaado" in Japanese) pattern. The pattern is referred to as "hyou gara" or "reopaado gara" ("leopard pattern"). But you wouldn't really want to sound like you are breeding leopards, so I wonder if it is wise to have either of these in the name.

So maybe using "ten" (spots/dots) somewhere in the name would sound nicer...

For your information, "ocicat" is called "oshikyatto" in Japanese (adopting the original English words into Japanese).

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/13 16:38
The name Ocicat comes from the Ocelot animal.
What would you suggest to add to the word Ten for the cattery? (and keep it sound nice in english)
Also, in japanese normally you write from top to bottom, so Yuuna would be:

—D
“Þ

Correct?
And what can you suggest me to do with these characters in Shodo? Aside from buying ink and a good brush and doing it myself?

Thanks again!

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/13 16:39
May I ask, why Japanese name, though?

One name I just thought of - though just a bit of play on words- is "Manten."
when it is written:
–ž“_ ("full" "dots/points") as a word means "full/perfect score/points" (as in exams) and it would be a play on words for "full dots"
There is another (different) word with the same reading "manten," –ž“V which means "full sky," as in "manten no hoshi" ("hoshi" meaning stars) "sky full of stars."

"Yuuna" is supposed to be written in hiragana or katakana? (If you try to use kanji, it will be a struggle to find the right kanji for each cat's name - the sound needs to be right, and the meaning of the kanji needs to be pleasant, etc.) Also usually Shodo will be drawn in vertical direction - does that suit the purpose?

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/13 17:00
Oh OK, you've responded to my question about "Yuuna" before I posted my last response :)

Could you let me know why Japanese names (for the cattery and for the cats too)?

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/13 17:01
Why japanese, good question. Me and my girlfriend love japan and japanese culture. Also in europe, japanese has a feel of quality, elegance and mystery which we like a lot. We have visited japan in 2012 (and have plans to visit again). And even if we visited more countries in Asia, japan has impressed us the most. Add to that that cats have a special place in japanese culture (if you look at childrens toys, there are some cat figures that are very popular in japan).

Also, i see there are almost no catteries of this breed in Japan. So we might interest the japanese to buy such beautiful cats from us in the future.

Maybe this explains it a bit.

Now for your question on how to write Yuuna, what would you suggest? Also Yuuna is going to be the name of 1 cat we are using to breed. This name won't be used for more than 1 cat. So we need 1 name for the cat and 1 name for the cattery (let's call it a company name).

Manten is not an option for a cattery name, as it sounds odd in the country i live in. (Netherlands).

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/13 18:01
In addition to my reply above;
To give you an idea of what i want to do with photography and images of the cat i created something real quick here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8stgmdsdl51upeh/ocicat.jpg?dl=0

Maybe this gives a better impression.

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/13 22:20
Thanks for the image. I am getting the idea of what you are trying to do :)

Let me think for a while :)

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/14 00:22
Thanks, looking forward to your ideas

Re: Cattery name 2017/4/14 10:04
About the calligraphy writing for the name Yuuna, that calligraphy font you've used looks fine. The ”Á”L (in red ink I can tell says "spotted cat," because of the meaning of each of the two kanji, but there is no Japanese "word" like that. Maybe that is what they call ocicats in Chinese?

I do see some breeders in Japan advertising ocicats, though, by the way.

I will come back if/when I come up with some ideas :) In the meantime I hope someone thinks of something good too.

reply to this thread