Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/5 12:07
Hey everyone! I would like to share (and hopefully get some advice/help) my "horror" story of Change of Status visa application for my son. Please bear with me as this is a long post.

Okay, I am a Japanese national now living and working in Japan. I acquired my Japanese nationality because my father is a pure Japanese and he acknowledged us (his children) and are written in his koseki tohon. I used to be a Filipino citizen because I was born and raised in the Philippines to my Filipino mother. My parents are married and all our documents are legal and the process that we (my siblings) went through to get our Japanese nationalities are legit legal.

Fast forward to 3 years of living in Japan, I left my husband and then-3-year-old son in the Philippines. I had to leave because I did not want to pay those taxes that they charged for foreigners in the Philippines. And also because I wanted to bring my family here to give them a better future.

So, after 1 year of living and working and paying taxes here, I asked my husband to try to apply for a tourist visa for him and my son and I would send them all the necessary requirements because I will be their guarantor and supporter throughout their stay. Everything was submitted, all the documents but they were denied. I had all these questions in my head. Why? Was I living in Japan a too short time to invite my family? Was my bank statement not enough to support them? What document was missing? Then, later on I was told by some of my colleagues that probably it was too soon to invite them and because I had just been living here for a year and my "real" taxes has not come out yet and that my bank statement was not enough to support their trip. So, okay, we got over that and the next thing my husband and I talked about was to get them one by one.

Naturally, I wanted to be with my son first. So, I went through all the steps again to invite my son after about 3 years from that initial application. And YESSSSS, he got approved for a 3-month tourist visa. We were all very excited for his trip. I flew to Manila to pick him up and was even a little nervous at the immigration area at Chubu Airport thinking they may ask for additional documents that may not be with me at that moment. But, no, they just wanted to see the return ticket and asked how we were related then we were off. Phew! (Thank God!)

So, about a month and a half passed and I decided to try to apply for a Change of Status visa for my son so he could study here and we could live together. His father will follow after we finish processing my son's visa. My son was very excited especially when he sees children walking to school and all. He's a very curious and friendly little man. So, I went and got all the needed documents again and we submitted it to the Nagoya Immigration Office. About 2 or 3 weeks after we submitted, I received a hagaki (written in English) asking me to come to their office. I went as soon as I could and to my horror, the application was DENIED. I almost cried in front of the immigration officer, I can feel tears on the side of my eye about to fall. Then, the immigration officer explained to me why. She said that all of my documents (from City Hall and work) have no problem at all. The only paper that they are asking is a court order from the Philippines stating that I have FULL custody of my son. And immediately, at the back of my head, I was like, "WHAT?! I AM HIS MOTHER AND HE IS 6 YEARS OLD AND FROM WHAT I LEARNED, A CHILD YOUNGER THAN 7 SHOULD BE WITH HIS MOTHER UNLESS OTHERWISE PROVEN THAT I AM NOT CAPABLE." And also, my husband and I are still married which is why we dont need such court order or even think about who gets full custody. She continued to explain that in Japan, when a married couple are not living together for some time, they are considered SEPARATED. She also explained to me that if they approve the long term visa of my son it could also mean that they are taking my son away from his father. I tried to explain to them that before my son even got his tourist visa, his father approved his trip and all. She did advice me to try to get that court order within the duration of my son's remaining visa (they put a stamp on his passport which is also like an extension of his stay) and re-apply his Change of Status when I get the papers. I explained to her that it takes a lot of time (and money) to get a court order (especially with the corruption in the Philippines) but she said that this is the only document that I needed. I even asked if I could instead apply for a CoE since he still has about 2 months remaining visa. She said that even if I apply for a CoE, chances are they will ask for the same document. She did confirm to me that that court order was the only paper I needed, all other documents that I submitted is not because they will keep that during the application process.

So, my husband and I talked and we decided to have a lawyer write an agreement stating I have full custody of my son and will try to submit that on his re-application.

Has anyone encountered or know anyone who encountered a situation like mine? What did you do? What did they do? Im really nervous because we will go the Immigration Office again on the 9th this month and hopefully, (please God) he gets approved.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your time.
by Anxious Momma (guest)  

Re: Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/5 14:14
Tourist visas are for, duh, tourism. Instead of trying to do things the roundabout way, do it properly and apply for CoEs for both your husband and your son at the same time.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/5 16:06
If you are Japanese now, can't you apply for COE for your husband AND child for "spouse, etc. of Japanese national," if you are planning to bring them over to "live" in Japan?

If you are only planning for them to stay for a short time, then "Temporary VIsitor" visa is fine; but if you plan to "live" here, then to me "spouse of Japanese national" sounds like the way to go.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/5 18:15
did you record the marriage and the son to your koseki ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/6 12:40
did you record the marriage and the son to your koseki ?

~ Yes, I have my marriage on my koseki. However, my son is not in it because I was not yet a Japanese when I gave birth to him.
by Anxious Momma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/6 12:48
Yes, I could apply for a CoE - I actually have already done that in the past (sorry, I forgot to mention). But, right now, my husband has no plans of actually living here permanently, yet. But, we want our son to stay with me and study and grow up here.

Re: Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/6 16:03
your son is not listed on your koseki. it means he is not a son of a Japanese. (since you are a Japanese, your child has to be listed on your koseki.)
(the situation is similar to you. you were not a Japanese, until you are listed on the father's koseki.)
since you become a Japanese and stay in Japan by your will, you have to show a strong evidence that you, a Japanese, are the only person who takes care of the son, a non-Japanese, to bring him from Philippine, where no one takes care of him.
I think immigration's judgement is reasonable.
Is there a chance that he can become a Japanese by naturalization as similar as you ?

Re: Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/7 00:13
This is actually pretty common, and has to do with international law that deals with kidnapping of children, which Japan recently adapted.

What I would do is bring your husband over to Japan on a travel visa, and go to immigration, they can complete the document there. You can then sponsor your husband as well.
by PsyGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/7 00:42
your son is not listed on your koseki. it means he is not a son of a Japanese. (since you are a Japanese, your child has to be listed on your koseki.)
(the situation is similar to you. you were not a Japanese, until you are listed on the father's koseki.)
since you become a Japanese and stay in Japan by your will, you have to show a strong evidence that you, a Japanese, are the only person who takes care of the son, a non-Japanese, to bring him from Philippine, where no one takes care of him.
I think immigration's judgement is reasonable.
Is there a chance that he can become a Japanese by naturalization as similar as you ?

~ My son is not listed on my koseki because I was not YET a Japanese citizen when I gave birth to him. I did ask the city hall about how I can add him on my kosekitohon --- and was advised that applying for naturalization (and getting approved) is one (if not the only) way to do that. I also did not become a Japanese citizen thru naturalization. It is written in my kosekitohon that I acquired the nationality thru "re-acquisition".

Re: Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/18 15:48
you was too fast maybe because you are now a japanese .. and immigration know that you are rushing to bring them into benefit..
rushing will only destroy your chancies ...as your situation is getting worst .. you need an immigration lawyer to handle all your application from now .
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Resident Visa for Son denied? 2017/5/18 16:14
I am not 100% sure, because you don't show your age.
if your age is over 20 years old, the only way to get Japanese nationality is "naturalization"帰化, so call 国籍の再取得.
it is the same situation that a Japanese failed to register his/her child to his/her koseki during the determined period (6 month ?).
http://marriage.visaemon.jp/article/14343317.html

I think you already abandon your Philippine nationality (if over 20 years old).
the advice for your son by a city officer is quite reasonable.

reply to this thread