Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change of status of residence vs CoE 2017/5/15 17:41
Dear All,

My Japanese boyfriend and I, a permanent resident in Hong Kong (HK), are going to register our marriage in a city hall this month and our wedding ceremony will be hold in October this year. My country is one of those being given visa exemption arrangement for "short-term stay (’ZŠú‘ØÝ)" and I could stay in Japan without a visa for 90 days at most. But we have some questions about the fastest / best method to get a spouse visa. So far I have heard of 2 methods.

Method 1 : Application of CoE ( Certificate of Eligibility ) - recommended method by Immigration Bureau staff today

This means while waiting in HK, I send all necessary documents to my Japanese bf and he will submit the CoE for me to Immigration Bureau of Japan. My bf called the bureau today and was told this is what we should do. But he added that although I could come to Japan without a visa or CoE for short-term stay, I must return to HK within 90 days, whether my CoE has approved or not within the 90 days. Then, I must go to the JP embassy in HK to apply for a spouse visa, wait for 1-2 weeks and then take my spouse visa with me to enter JP again. This method is the official way but it costs too much.

Method 2 : Entering JP as a tourist and then apply for Change of Status of Residence.

The immigration bureau staff today told my boyfriend that this is not applicable to our case. But another HK lady married to Japanese husband used this method. What she did is entering JP with a ’ZŠú‘ØÝ chop on her passport and then apply for Change of Status of Residence in Immigration Bureau of Japan.
She said the documents required are the same as CoE application except a different application form. Finally she got her spouse visa one and a half month after the application. But she has worked 1 year in JP in the working holiday program a few years BEFORE the marriage but I have not. I am not sure if such a difference matters or not. The good thing about this method is I could have my allowed period of stay extended by 2 months once I submit the application for Change of Status of Residence & I could wait for the approval while staying in JP as long as it is approved within the extended 2 months.

I wonder if anyone has similar experience, preferably in the recent 1 or 2 years, and could kindly advise whether Method 2 is feasible for my case.

We are on a budget and coming back to HK and going to JP again is definitely our last resort. Lastly, I am sorry that what I said above may contain errors / misunderstanding, please feel free to correct me anything. Your kind replies will be greatly appreciated!

by Koey (guest)  

Re: Change of status of residence vs CoE 2017/5/16 07:47
Well, technically you can try both methods, though method 1 is cleaner and right way of doing it that's why immigration discourages method 2
In your case, I understand you had a long distance relationship, method 2 would raise suspicion
Only downside of method 1 is that you might have to wait for 3 months or so in HK unless you spend money to travel as tourist
Method 2 might work fine as well, since your marriage is genuine, but it's a risk that you would have to take and no one can know outcome as each case is unique
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status of residence vs CoE 2017/5/16 11:32
First know that it is not guaranteed you get a Visa within 3 months. Even it is mentioned on the website.
It depends on the situation.

While you apply for change in status you can stay in Japan till you get your result. But immigration prefers you go back to your home country to wait for the result.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status of residence vs CoE 2017/5/16 11:54
( Sorry I forgot to log in first when I posted the question ).

Hello ...,
Thank you for replying me quickly! Do you think if unluckily my application of change of status of residence is rejected and I go back to HK within the 90 days of short-term stay in Japan & then my bf applies for CoE in Japan for me, my chance of CoE approval will be lowered since my application for change of status of residence is rejected before?

Best Regards,
Koey
by Utopia25 rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status of residence vs CoE 2017/5/16 13:12
If your application has been rejected, you cannot apply for 6 months, unless there is another reason.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status of residence vs CoE 2017/5/16 23:59
Utopia
I answered your query earlier on this thread, I would reiterate, change of status may very well be approved, you have very less risk since your marraige is genuine
However your case would raise suspicion, more than rejection the possibility is that it will take more time for them to scrutinize, they might ask more proof or documents, photos etc
You will suffer from uncertainty until it is approved, that's the only real risk
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status of residence vs CoE 2017/5/17 19:57
Dear ...,

I got your point now. Thank you very much for your kind reply again.
by Utopia25 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread